Troubleshoot Trying to write an autorun file to make software run on USB plug in

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
autorun is in the thumbdrive but does not execute file
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
here is the link that i followed http://www.instructables.com/id/Autorun-anything-off-of-a-usb-key/
Hi guys,

would appreciate the help trying to troubleshoot the problem I have. As I've said in the top, I'm trying to write an autorun file to help with running a programme when a USB is plugged into a computer. But so far I haven't been successful in the autorun. Here is what I typed into the inf file

[Autorun]
Open=USB\Tools\OperaPortable\OperaPortable.exe
Action=Start OperaPortable.exe

and I have the exact same file in my thumbdrive at the same directory.

Thanks in advance!

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
To be honest, I haven't tried to track down the specific KB patch that nerfed autorun and popssibly autoplay in Windows 7. But I do know it exists, and it was pushed out. I fell into the trap as well. Also, the so-called MS Fix-It executables from MS Help to "re-enable autorun" do not work since KB patches trump everything, and they also trump Control Panel AutoPlay settings (just in case you have set the dropdown list to "Ask me every time")... and another thing, the method in the webpage will not work either IF the patch remains installed. I tried and it didn't work!

Give this page a read... it's got some killer info about autorun and registry mods. I just checked my registry and I couldn't find the key that is mentioned on the site. I nearly put my fist through my router. Then I realised my autorun is active and therefore, the key does not exist... phew!

http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable-nodrivetypeautorun.htm

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
To be honest, I haven't tried to track down the specific KB patch that nerfed autorun and popssibly autoplay in Windows 7. But I do know it exists, and it was pushed out. I fell into the trap as well. Also, the so-called MS Fix-It executables from MS Help to "re-enable autorun" do not work since KB patches trump everything, and they also trump Control Panel AutoPlay settings (just in case you have set the dropdown list to "Ask me every time")... and another thing, the method in the webpage will not work either IF the patch remains installed. I tried and it didn't work!

Give this page a read... it's got some killer info about autorun and registry mods. I just checked my registry and I couldn't find the key that is mentioned on the site. I nearly put my fist through my router. Then I realised my autorun is active and therefore, the key does not exist... phew!

http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-enable-disable-nodrivetypeautorun.htm
Thanks for the information! I'll give it a read! Much appreciated man :D

Reactions: marzametal
Upvote 0

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
You can try to experiment with Windows Task Scheduler or PowerShell.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
According to your Security Config, you are using Windows 8.1. You can only modify the AutoPlay settings via the Control Panel, but Autoruns can been removed.

If you use Windows 7, Server 2008, Vista, Server 2003 or XP, you can use Microsoft Fixit tool to Enable Autorun features - be aware of the security implications.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967715

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
According to your Security Config, you are using Windows 8.1. You can only modify the AutoPlay settings via the Control Panel, but Autoruns can been removed.

If you use Windows 7, Server 2008, Vista, Server 2003 or XP, you can use Microsoft Fixit tool to Enable Autorun features - be aware of the security implications.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/967715
I have tried to mess with the control panel settings but to no avail :(

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, because there is no Autorun feature on Windows 8.1.

Is this the scenario you are trying to achieve?

1. User plugs in USB device
2. OperaPortable.exe will launch and without user interaction
3. User uses Opera web browser

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.