Turkish ISP Swapped Downloads of Popular Software with Spyware-Infected Apps

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
I see the VPN haters have arrived. Even though a solid VPN is the perfect solution to this problem.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but some basic privacy practices combined with a trustworthy VPN can go a long ways. Anyone suggesting otherwise is not being honest about this conversation. *Especially if you are obeying the law, and aren't a major criminal target.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I prefer not using a VPN. Why? Because governments know that people who use VPNs have something to hide so they will have their data under even more scrutiny. In contrast, yes your ISP will report to the government if something is foul, but your ISP has many customers. If you behave like any other internet user, you will blend in.

Actually, the VPN use is so prevalent now they'd be flagging hundreds of millions of people a year. I used my first VPN around 18 years ago. After 9/11 I continued to use it and I guarantee back then I was flagged for using it. These days, use is too widespread. 90% of businesses we work with use VPN's. The common way to access office resources on the go now is VPN. RDP isn't even considered viable and never has been considered secure. So you have untold millions of business users every single day using VPN's.

Also, your ISP knows exactly who you are and what you do. All of them.. They all have Paxfire-like servers scooping up your errors and NBU type servers with redirections and TCP insertions. If you use their default DNS, they know what you are doing. If you use GoogleDNS, most ISP's have mirrored GoogleDNS on their own networks, and know exactly what you are doing. A foolproof way to avoid ISP snooping is quite simple - a VPN. Period. End of story. Any simple VPN will evade all of their detection methods, evade NX redirects to Paxfires,. etc. In the old days, ISP's would block VPN's, so you have to continuously fool them. These days ISP's know everyone uses VPN's and they can't block them or they'd have no customers.

On a normal day about 30-50% of your traffic is encrypted. With a VPN that number is 100%. You've closed off the other half of your exposed traffic with a VPN. Govt. agencies or well funded actors? That's an entirely different topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Social networking, browser finger-printing techniques (even characteristics such as the window size can be used for tracking), writing style, choice of avatars, surveilance on your friends who are likely less experienced with computing and thus more vulnerable.

A million ways.. Even battery life. Stylograpy is at 70-80%+ assurance of a person now. It's all lost for the most part. Which is why there are covert programs that transcribe for you in a generic fashion or convert your writing style in-process (although the slowness of them annoy me). There are countermeasures to everything, but you need to be prepared to spend some money, learn new things, and devote the time/effort required to do it.

But as you point out, the biggest problem are low hanging fruit. Great, you are secured. Are your friends you interact with?? Heck no... So they become your weakest link in all of this and they will surveillance you through your friends/associates.

As for government agencies and surveilance, there's other better ways to prevent being tracked. This would include using environments with fake data setup on Windows (or better yet, use Linux) in-case Microsoft telemetry is being used to identify you, connecting to servers which are situated in foreign countries remotely and allowing them to handle operations, sending out random web request queries every hour from your network to cause genuine requests to be mixed up in thousands of random and meaningless search requests, storing personal and critical data on a machine which is not and never will be connected to the internet whilst maintaining encryption, etc. This is all theoretical though, I am not a surveilance expert who works for a government agency and probably never will be.

VPN to a remote COLO, RDP to a remote desktop within that colo. Then VPN out of that remote desktop. When the session ends kill the L2 VPN, kill off the remote desktop, which of course runs in a VM, leaving no trace of that session, then kill the RDP, then disconnect the L1 VPN to the colo and you are back. Have fun trying to trace all of that and establish any tracks.

Chaffing as we call it is awesome these days.. About 1,500,000 clicks, searches and web lookups come out of my home every week that are from automated systems designed for this purpose. Masking legitimate activity among a tremendous amount of noise. Blinded by the light, right?

See this little tiny friendly stick that measures 2inchx4inch? It's a quad core computer, it's only purpose in my home is to browse 1.5 million websites and click 1.5 million different links a week. That's all it does. Nothing else.

6HK4VX.png

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I see the VPN haters have arrived. Even though a solid VPN is the perfect solution to this problem.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but some basic privacy practices combined with a trustworthy VPN can go a long ways. Anyone suggesting otherwise is not being honest about this conversation. *Especially if you are obeying the law, and aren't a major criminal target.
Agreed. A good VPN with heavy encryption is the best choice in this situation. Also there are VPNs offering functions to make your connection appear as a normal one, to provide even more privacy.

Another layer would be to have a good antivirus or security suite to block those Apps that have been altered. A software like Heimdal would be useful in this situation, blocking advanced attacks far away, before they reach your PC.

Another choice would be well...to leave and change your country:p

Reactions: upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Agreed. A good VPN with heavy encryption is the best choice in this situation. Also there are VPNs offering functions to make your connection appear as a normal one, to provide even more privacy.

Another layer would be to have a good antivirus or security suite to block those Apps that have been altered. A software like Heimdal would be useful in this situation, blocking advanced attacks far away, before they reach your PC.

Another choice would be well...to leave and change your country:p

Shoving VPN though 53 often works. Many (maybe most?) ISP's don't do full inspection of Port 53 traffic so you can often hide things in there, they'll assume it's DNS traffic. Other options are usually TCP over 443 (simulating normal web traffic), UDP over 443 is often spotted as a VPN now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.