Guide | How To [Tutorial: How to] Dual boot: Windows 8.x.x + Linux Ubuntu / Mint

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
My window 8 has 240 GB remaining is 200 free drive, i am willing to store some of my Media files in linux.
upload_2014-7-7_23-11-33.png

I didnt understand this part in ur tutorial.
30gb as Primary, ext4 partition , labelled as /
- 4gb as as Primary, ext4 partition, labelled as Swap
- 66+gb as as Primary, ext4 partition, labelled as /home
Also i'm installing 64 bit Linux

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
My window 8 has 240 GB remaining is 200 free drive, i am willing to store some of my Media files in linux.
View attachment 14999
I didnt understand this part in ur tutorial.
30gb as Primary, ext4 partition , labelled as /
- 4gb as as Primary, ext4 partition, labelled as Swap
- 66+gb as as Primary, ext4 partition, labelled as /home
Also i'm installing 64 bit Linux
If you haven't installed Linux yet, then go to Disk Management and create a new partition, by either shrinking a partition or deleting unwanted partition and then install Linux. Linux will automatically recognize the deleted partition and install there.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
This part is what you will do during linux installation , i do this way because i want my linux partitions as it. Kaptain method is also valid , just be sure to select the right option

Reactions: Vasudev

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Can i delete the 200gb and directly start installing without partitioning as in the tutorial?
Yes. If you want to install Linux in 200GB partition, then just make a partition for 200GB and delete the partition. It will show as unallocated in Disk Management and then install Linux. You won't even get the gparted screen to make any partitions while installing.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Also if you have more than 4GB of RAM you don't really need swap. Just double click the highlighted partition, select file system as ext 4, check the box that says format partition, from the mount point options select "/" without the quotes. click ok, then re highlight the partition and click install now. You'll get a warning saying you haven't selected a partition for swap. Like I say if you have more than 4GB of RAM you don't need swap.

You can put your home folder on it's own partition and many do, but I never bother with that.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Also if you have more than 4GB of RAM you don't really need swap. Just double click the highlighted partition, select file system as ext 4, check the box that says format partition, from the mount point options select "/" without the quotes. click ok, then re highlight the partition and click install now. You'll get a warning saying you haven't selected a partition for swap. Like I say if you have more than 4GB of RAM you don't need swap.

You can put your home folder on it's own partition and many do, but I never bother with that.
I have only 4 gb, and its displaying 3.3 G in sys memory. So can u guide me the exact way to split my 200 GB Partition.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
I have only 4 gb, and its displaying 3.3 G in sys memory. So can u guide me the exact way to split my 200 GB Partition.
Did you create unallocated space for 200GB ? If so, did you select the first option "Install LinuxMint along side Windows 8" when installing Linux ?
You shouldn't be getting the gparted screen as I mentioned earlier, if you did what I said.

Reactions: Vasudev and ZeroDay

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It will be easier if you can boot back into Windows and select to shrink the partition you've chosen for Linux. The standard for swap is usually 2x your installed RAM. but you'll be ok with a 4GB swap partition, so you want to create a partition 4096 mb in size. If you want to use GParted to create your swap partition you will need to right click on the partition you created for within Gparted, select resize/move and create your swap partition 4096 mb in size, then select apply.

then, from the linux installer just double click the partition you created for swap and select use as swap, then click ok. Then highlight your linux partition and select install now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.