Guide | How To [Tutorial: How to] Dual boot: Windows 8.x.x + Linux Ubuntu / Mint

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
Do you have windows already installed in your PC ?
YYVAS1K.png

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@KaptainBug : the options you talk in Mint is flawed and will screw the computer, it is why i always do my 3 partitions manually.

Reactions: Vasudev
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i had the same issue when i first installed Mint, after some reading on their forum , they suggested to beginners to not use this feature if dual-booting .

btw, i learnt more of Gparted by doing all manually.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
do you have a second machine? if yes , try both on it , and then you will know which method will fit you.

if no , just backup your datas and try any of the method, if it fails just reinstall Windows and then try the other.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Nope I dont have another machine, i would like to take risks, but i dont have an ext harddrive to backup by data. So i wont do any more experiments as u all are not sure of whats goinghappen.:cool:

Any way thanks for all of u for ur valuable time in helping me learn new stuff.:)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
the problem is we are not in front of your computer :D

if you have a cloud account, you can upload the most important files

Last edited by a moderator:

THD

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2014
@Umbra Polaris , I meet a trouble after install Linux Mint (now I have a dual boot with Win8)
After I configured BIOS to let USB as the first boot, if I login in Win8, and delete the Linux partition, I would receive a message: No partition.... and cannot boot to Win8.
Then I reinstalled Linux Mint, I'm able to boot to Win8 and check bcdedit that Win8 is currently the default OS. But when booting from BIOS, Linux is the default OS.
If I delete the Linux partition, I will meet the mentioned message. So how can I configure BIOS to let Win8 as the default?
Sorry for my bad English, and I guess you may not get what I'm saying..
Please help me. Thanks in avanced. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Can you post a screenshot of your grub? (The linux boot loader)
Normally grub should be the first boot loader then shows and allows you to load "windows boot manager"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: THD
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
your installation is correct so now just enjoy both OS :D

small advice , when you want to shift from one OS to another , don't restart; use shutdown button, if not you may encounter some small issues (drivers that don't load properly, etc...) especially in windows.

i spent 2 days wondering why my earphone doesn't had sound while it was detected by Win8; just to discover i shouldn't restart for switching from Linux to Win8 but shutdown.

Reactions: Vasudev and THD

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Do you have windows already installed in your PC ?
YYVAS1K.png
PC's using an UEFI will not show an OS on the system, older PC's don't have this issue. More distros are fixing this as time goes on, so in the mean time users should choose "something else" and set it up manually.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.