Guide | How To [Tutorial: How to] Dual boot: Windows 8.x.x + Linux Ubuntu / Mint

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

THD

Level 1
Verified
Apr 30, 2014
But, there is anyway to uninstall Linux? If I delete Linux partition from Win8, it won't boot.
Now I'm very satisfied with it, but If someday... ^^

noelis

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hi
For Windows 8 user's i found a video on youtube.....very easy to install....btw. i'm using
http://www.netrunner-os.com/ and windows 8.1 (dual-boot)

most problems for dualboot are with ssd..many board's give the ssd a frozen state, so grub can't write in the "bootsektor"

for this problem you can use partedmagic and it's secureerase (work's with all ssd)
http://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=33311

best regards
ernst

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Is it possible to dualboot Windows 7 and Linux on a 120gb SSD? I was on Linux for about a week and liked it... started missing Windows so restored a backup. Now I want both, however cannot cough up cash for a new hard disk...

External HDD is no issue, but I think they have to be inside the PC for this to work, right?

Zendaz

Mar 5, 2016
By doing this the computer will be rooted. Kind of like putting a steel roof on the house, it won't leak anymore. Thank you for the info. Have a kickit day.

FrankN209

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2016
@Umbra
I'm going to be dual booting W7 and Mint. I have 2 ssds, one with W7 and the other will be Mint. The 2nd drive is 250gb.

So the / drive will be 30gb
the /swap will be 32gb as i have 16gb of ram.
and the /home will be 188gb?

And which of these drive do I install mint onto?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I never tried with 2 disks so can't tell you, and it was ages i didn't dual boot anything....

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I just use the command line to repair the Windows MBR, reboot then delete the Linux partition, Job done in 3 minutes. I've always got at least 2 Linux distros on different partitions though, they can come in very handy at times.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
your installation is correct so now just enjoy both OS :D

small advice , when you want to shift from one OS to another , don't restart; use shutdown button, if not you may encounter some small issues (drivers that don't load properly, etc...) especially in windows.

i spent 2 days wondering why my earphone doesn't had sound while it was detected by Win8; just to discover i shouldn't restart for switching from Linux to Win8 but shutdown.
Which PC do you have? Usually updating to latest kernels and linux-firmware blob and some special alsa-audio driver should fix your issues. Disable hibernate on Linux. You could try updating to 4.11 kernel manually using synaptic since the newer kernels are fit for normal use. I'm using Xubuntu 16 with 4.13 kernel along with latest linux firmware.

But, there is anyway to uninstall Linux? If I delete Linux partition from Win8, it won't boot.
Now I'm very satisfied with it, but If someday... ^^
Use boot repair x32 or x64 to uninstall any OS w/o any hassles. Use rufus or YUMI to burn it to a flash drive.

@Umbra
I'm going to be dual booting W7 and Mint. I have 2 ssds, one with W7 and the other will be Mint. The 2nd drive is 250gb.

So the / drive will be 30gb
the /swap will be 32gb as i have 16gb of ram.
and the /home will be 188gb?

And which of these drive do I install mint onto?
Its best to disconnect your Windows SSD and put only SSD which you're planning to install Linux. If you're using EFI w/ SB then you need 3 or 4 partitions ESP(200MB), Your root partition, separate /home partition or directory and lastly small swap file of 1GB(if you've tons of RAM).
If you're using legacy boot, then you can skip ESP.

Reactions: ZeroDay

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.