Twitch targets ad block users; breaks uBlock

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Twitch pushed an update that broke uBlock, a popular ad-blocker. UBlock users were suddenly greeted with a pop-up noting that they may be using a third-party tool or browser extension that “is impacting site performance” every 10 or 20 minutes — a little like a site-triggered midroll ad.

A spokesperson from Twitch told me that users were getting that specific pop-up because the tool they’re using is manipulating the site code.

The bottom line: when an ad is blocked, nobody makes money — not streamers and not Twitch. That said, with CPMs being what they are, streamers are getting the worse end of the deal. As of September, both partners and affiliates in America were earning $3.50 per 1,000 ad views.
Read more at Source.

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

@Mountainking : It doesn't work, I have Adguard Desktop but I still see ads :cry:
This has been a big issue on uBlock Origin's subreddit. So I tried Twitch (Never went to the site before) and still after one hour I don't see any preroll or mid roll ads :unsure: or any ads. And I am using uBlock Origin at medium. This may be region based because Twitch is not much known in India.

Last edited by a moderator:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I do not block ads, but other filters seem to be handling it pretty well, no notifications nor ads.

Attachments

• capture_11042020_081000.jpg
    capture_11042020_081000.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 177
  • capture_11042020_081503.jpg
    capture_11042020_081503.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 151
  • capture_11042020_081838.jpg
    capture_11042020_081838.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 161

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Could Adguard Extra help out in this case?

If you look at the screenshot of @TairikuOkami just adding the AdGuard Annoyances filter is enough.

AdGuard Extra is only of use on these sites:
Websites where AdGuard Extra can be useful
Facebook
Yandex and their subsidiaries
Mail.ru and their subsidiaries
Rambler.ru and their subsidiaries
Wp.pl
4pda.ru

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.