Typo sends millions of US military emails to Russian ally Mali

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Millions of US military emails have been mistakenly sent to Mali, a Russian ally, because of a minor typing error.
Emails intended for the US military's ".mil" domain have, for years, been sent to the west African country which ends with the ".ml" suffix.
Some of the emails reportedly contained sensitive information such as passwords, medical records and the itineraries of top officers.
The Pentagon said it had taken steps to address the issue.

(Insert: 'man-shaking-his-head-in-disbelief' emoji).

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023

(Insert: 'man-shaking-his-head-in-disbelief' emoji).
I said it once I will say it again! My proposal to DISA regarding replacing all .mil accounts with .xxx should have gone through! Everyone knows that anything hush hush is marked with X's!

Sigh, I miss the old days of Whitehouse. Com taking us to the real president Clinton endorsed website!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.