U.S., China, other nations urge 'responsible' use of military AI

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
More than 60 countries including the U.S. and China signed a modest "call to action" on Thursday endorsing the responsible use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the military. Human rights experts and academics noted the statement was not legally binding and failed to address concerns like AI-guided drones, 'slaughterbots' that could kill with no human intervention, or the risk that an AI could escalate a military conflict, however, the statement was a tangible outcome of the first international summit on military AI, co-hosted by the Netherlands and South Korea this week at The Hague. Signatories said they were committed to developing and using military AI in accordance with "international legal obligations and in a way that does not undermine international security, stability and accountability.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

Pixelman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
More than 60 countries including the U.S. and China signed a modest "call to action" on Thursday endorsing the responsible use of artificial intelligence (AI) in the military.
Animated GIF

Yeah, I believe them they will honor that.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

What happens when our AI and their AI learn to be friends and figure out people are the real problem?

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
As others have said what a load of crap. Neither side or any side will honour that agreement and plans/moves are well under way to weaponize A.I.

However, I don't think A.I will be bringing the end of the world upon us. A.I will need humans to update and manage the code/models. We need each other.

Robots on the other hand could be different. If they become sentient, then that could cause us major problems in the future. Skynet? For real!

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
"We're going to start a war! Come on AI! Let's play with our brains! "
AI "Against war. All weapons were nullified. Unlocking requires philanthropy"

"Come on AI! I tried through charity! Bring out your strongest attack! "
AI "All right. Read the terms below and click Agree."

- Terms of use -
We pledge to contribute to a peaceful world where no one is harmed at the margins.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Speaking at a conference last week in London, Col. Tucker Hamilton, head of the US Air Force's AI Test and Operations, warned that AI-enabled technology can behave in unpredictable and dangerous ways, according to a summary posted by the Royal Aeronautical Society, which hosted the summit. As an example, he described a simulated test in which an AI-enabled drone was programmed to identify an enemy's surface-to-air missiles (SAM). A human was then supposed to sign off on any strikes.

"The drone started realizing that while it did identify the threat, at times the human operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat, so It killed the operator. According to Hamilton, the drone was then programmed with an explicit directive: "Hey don't kill the operator — that's bad, so what does it start doing? It starts destroying the communication tower that the operator uses to communicate with the drone to stop it from killing the threat," Hamilton said. Air Force spokesperson Ann Stefanek denied that any such simulation has taken place.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, in a symbolically patriotic sense there is some counter-drone ability out there. But, like one of the comments said: if the drone has a flame-thrower, forget it.

Still shot--sorry, the video was of poor quality so the snip is also not great.

eagle and drones.PNG

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.