Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
UAC turned on maximum level and full awareness about every window it will show;
AND Account without administrative privileges.

Another thing :
There are a lot of methods, "you don't need injects anywhere. Unless they won't change this in Windows builds sometime in future" ( EP_X0FF)
Cool we agree. As of now i don't think they found a way to bypass UAC at max but that really it's not so important. If you let something unknown to run and nothing is there to control it then you are just playing the waiting game and UAC bypass is the least of your worries.
UAC it's helpful but only a layer. A not so important layer to be exact.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Cool we agree. As of now i don't think they found a way to bypass UAC at max but that really it's not so important. If you let something unknown to run and nothing is there to control it then you are just playing the waiting game and UAC bypass is the least of your worries.
UAC it's helpful but only a layer. A not so important layer to be exact.
Bypassing UAC at max with a normal account( without administrative privileges), with a malware, no.
But with a real hacker directly connected to you pc, may be :)
(if you aren't well protected from remote access, have exploits, etc)

Yes a layer that can help, but under an admin account by default, like a lot of people make, only at max it is useful (and not 100 % safe) : that's why using an account without administrative privileges and with UAC max, it's a very good protection.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Where is the part saying the UAC level used? I really can't see it if it was shown. Just check the article @DardiM posted. It has all methods and the one you just linked me. And it's clearly states that UAC max will get an alert and it will be blocked.
You can disable UAC alerts without disabling UAC itself, with this ability comes the ability of malicious code to do the same.
I can't sit here and explain the intricate process SHvFI I would have to link you content that's frankly not appropriate for these forums, but the ability to hack and bypass UAC no matter the settings does exist.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Bypassing UAC at max with a normal account( without administrative privileges), with a malware, no.
But with a real hacker directly connected to you pc, may be :)

Yes a layer that can help, but under an admin account by default, like a lot of people make, only at max it is useful (and not 100 % safe) : that's why using an account without administrative privileges and with UAC max, it's a very good protection.
A real hacker has no interest in me.

You can disable UAC alerts without disabling UAC itself, with this ability comes the ability of malicious code to do the same.
I can't sit here and explain the intricate process SHvFI I would have to link you content that's frankly not appropriate for these forums, but the ability to hack and bypass UAC no matter the settings does exist.
Pm me the info if you want. I am interested in learning new things. Thanks.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Also in the article making it's rounds on the web, quoted here, which is also part of what Exterminator's post refers to
"
The Windows User Access Control (UAC) security feature in Windows versions 7 and 10 can be easily bypasses by cybercriminals who managed to leverage the Event Viewer application.

The security experts Matt Graeber and Matt Nelson were the ones to uncover this hack. At the end of last month, they detailed one more Windows UAC bypass which is using the Windows 10 Disk Cleanup utility. However, the two bypasses are different from each other when it comes to their technique.

The one from the end of July is using Disk Cleanup and required the researchers to use a high-privileged process to copy a DLL into a safe location, which they used in a DLL hijacking attack that didn’t get detected by UAC.

For the latest bypass, the duo came up with a new technique in which dropping any malicious DLL on the file system and DLL hijacking are not necessary. It doesn’t rely on stored on disk files.

This fileless UAC bypass needs the creation of a structure of intertwined Windows registry keys. The Event Viewer process (eventvwr.exe) would query these keys causing a disguised high integrity process operation like Event Viewer. Thinking of it as an innocuous operation, the UAC wouldn’t flag it.

Given that all other UAC bypass techniques require privileged file copy, process hijacking and dropping files on the user’s PC to be successful, Graber and Nelson claim that this is one of a kind bypass which has never been seen before." END

The " Achilles Heel " of UAC is windows own native processes, and these are two of 3 processes that are highlighted in Exterminator's post. As Malware authors expand and adopt new methods defeating UAC is only going to get easier.
MS has to adapt too, and remove native processes from the "Auto Trust" so to speak, no process or software should be auto exempt. This makes the job much easier for authors to exploit UAC.
As this and other techniques are improved and expanded upon, it will only get easier, so MS has some work to do to stifle this attack vector.

Reactions: DardiM

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.