UAC Bypassable or not?

(BlackBox) Hacker

Level 2
Verified
Apr 21, 2014
True, buts it's a real bonus to catch that unknown Software!

Every AV is somewhat vulnerable to zero-day malware, it's up to their heuristics to detect them.

And also, that's why we are here, to submit such samples to them. :)

Now this is why I now only implement UAC mode! And use my Product Windows Firewall Console 9.0 to seal some of the other leaky security areas also the two way firewall as well!

Every AV is somewhat vulnerable to zero-day malware, it's up to their heuristics to detect them.

Security Video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Davidov

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
MSE can have it's process blocked as well, I did this when making my computer worm! The test was on my PC and it really mess up MSE!
you dont have to be an expert to wipe it, it doesn't have self defence, just kill the process and the you can delete it or rename it from
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\MsMpEng.exe"

MSE is still my favorite AV, but viruses know how to hack.
I had a pc that MSE scan show that the pc is clean after scan, but it wasnt, going to allows tab shows that the virus managed to tell MSE that it was allowed. smart virus approach. MSE folder was full of malware process hiden there

thx

D

Deleted member 178

An article about bypassing UAC on Win7/8/8.1

Bypassing Windows User Account Control (UAC) and ways of mitigation | GreyHatHacker.NET

The Bypass procedure:

Exploiting UAC is a trivial process. There are two stages needed to be taken to achieve bypass to elevate from standard user rights to administrator user rights. These steps have widely been published so it’s nothing new though stage 2 documents some more DLL hijacking vulnerabilities.

• Writing to a secure location
  • Exploiting DLL hijacking vulnerability
In order for our bypass to be successful to start off with we need

1. A medium integrity process
  2. A standard user in an administrators group
  3. Windows executable must be signed by Microsoft code signing certificate
  4. Windows executable must be located in a secure directory
  5. Windows executable also must specify the auto Elevate property in their manifest

The Mitigation

Mitigation
The best way to mitigate this bypass is just by not giving users local admin rights to their machines. Majority of user accounts in a corporate environment you should be able to do this reducing the attack surface. This however does not apply home users which would have local admin rights by default.

The actual bypass only works when set to the middle two UAC settings which will let it auto-elevate. To see your settings you need to go to Control Panel – User Accounts – Change User Account Control settings.

Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (default)
Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer (do not dim desktop settings)

conclusion:

UAC must be at max.
Your account shouldn't run as Admin , unless you set a password for the UAC prompt

Last edited by a moderator:

kaddy

Level 2
Verified
Jan 23, 2016

Sometimes not even zero days. Zbot as long as it has been around, is more common than anything, and i imagine it is more of a temporary, infection used as a cyberespionage tool by some people. Kind of like Stuxnet, but by common hackers. Reason i get this impression is there are many variants on Zeustracker, that are still not detected, yet really old.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.