Uber dealing with "cybersecurity incident" after hacker appears to breach its system

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
Uber said Thursday that it reached out to law enforcement after a hacker apparently breached its network. A security engineer said the intruder had provided evidence of obtaining access to crucial cloud systems at the ride-hailing service.
Uber tweeted Thursday night that it was "currently responding to a cybersecurity incident. We are in touch with law enforcement."
Uber 1.jpg

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
If the hacker is really only 18 years old then better start spending more money on security. The next one may be 30 with even more experience :D
Yeah supposedly there was just a PowerShell script accessible on a network share that anyone with corporate VPN could get to. And it contained a huge trove of passwords including the master AWS and GSuite accounts and all their vSphere instances.

If that’s actually true, I am honestly shocked they haven’t had any breaches in the past. I work at a medium sized tech company and even there, at least once or twice a year we catch a malicious employee and either terminate or also refer them to law enforcement depending on how bad the offense is.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
If that’s actually true, I am honestly shocked they haven’t had any breaches in the past.
They do and it's not any flattering ones either.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.