Advice Request Ublock Origin vs Adguard same filter list different results

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freki123

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Hi, I was giving Ublock origin a try again. And for some reason the same filterlist that would on Adguard "autoclick" the cookie banner to disappear doesn't do that for Ublock Origin for me.
Website is: Example Website
I disabled in Adguard every filterlist but one: AdGuard Annoyances filter, visited the website > cookie notice gets "auto clicked" and disappears.
I disabled in Ublock every filterlist but added! one: AdGuard Annoyances filter, visited the website > cookie notice stays.
Test two:
I enabling all the seven default "Ublock Annoyances filters", it made no difference.

Any tips what I have to do to get rid of the "cookie notice" for websites by default like Adguard does it?
2.jpg

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Some extensions handle cookies notices better than others. Like "I do not care about cookies" as well. It is not as simple as adding a list, they state it as well, there is more behind it.
As for the listed webpage, I get a cookie notice, but it disappears within 3 secs, I consider it as a success, but I guess you do not want to see it at all. You just have to add it manually.

Freki123

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I had the hope that the same list would result in the same behavior. Now I learned that it isn't that easy, thanks :).
I try to avoid having to many extensions so having one only for cookies would be something I like to avoid. (But thanks for the suggestion). I tried the 'I don't care about cookies' filter still same result. So I will have to read up on Ublock Origin a bit more.
Thank you both for the answers :)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
uBlock Origin can't auto-click on Cookie banners. It doesn't have the feature by design. But that will change in the future. It's coming to Trusted filter lists first and will give the users option to manually trust what they want later at some time.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

uBlock Origin can't auto-click on Cookie banners. It doesn't have the feature by design. But that will change in the future. It's coming to Trusted filter lists first and will give the users option to manually trust what they want later at some time.
:) that is a 180, Gorhill allways condemned AdGuard for providing the option to import scriptlets :LOL:
Have to say, he did have a point that importing scriptlets is a security risk, but he was passionately opposed of the idea.

Is he planning to add AdGuard's $cookie feature also?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Hi, I was giving Ublock origin a try again. And for some reason the same filterlist that would on Adguard "autoclick" the cookie banner to disappear doesn't do that for Ublock Origin for me.
Website is: Example Website
I disabled in Adguard every filterlist but one: AdGuard Annoyances filter, visited the website > cookie notice gets "auto clicked" and disappears.
I disabled in Ublock every filterlist but added! one: AdGuard Annoyances filter, visited the website > cookie notice stays.
Test two:
I enabling all the seven default "Ublock Annoyances filters", it made no difference.

Any tips what I have to do to get rid of the "cookie notice" for websites by default like Adguard does it?
View attachment 275878
If you are like me and don't clear your cookies (to preserve your website logins) then I would suggest disabling uBlock temporarily, visit all the websites you usually visit, click ACCEPT on the cookie notice banner, then re-enable uBlock. That way, you wouldn't even see the cookie notice banner then have it disappear and let uBlock handle other cookie notices when you visit new sites.

Last edited:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
Can rules created by use of the UBO element picker be imported 'as is' into Adguard desktop version?, I know they can physically, but was more a question relating to their syntax and efficiency compared to creating rules with Adguards own element hide tool.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

When you look at AG filters they sometimes contain advanced rules to automate things like clicking on cookies et cetera. uBO does not digest these advanced AG functions, see picture (link to AG filter), uBO in the past also did not have the $cookie option of AG (uBO is implementing a lot of advanced stuff of AG at the moment). So could be either of those two that you see cookies prompt in uBO which you don't see when using AG. As said both extensions are developing but in the past AG processed both ABP and uBO advanced functions, while uBO processed ABP and additionally offered advanced functions which ABP did not offer.

1692091065455.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
I have approx 150 cosmetic filters created with UBO element picker and was undecided as to whether I can export them into Adguard desktop and remove UBO. Am currently using Adguard desktop for ad filtering, but still have UBO installed (no filters), purely for its element blocking which I prefer to that of Adguard.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I have approx 150 cosmetic filters created with UBO element picker and was undecided as to whether I can export them into Adguard desktop and remove UBO. Am currently using Adguard desktop for ad filtering, but still have UBO installed (no filters), purely for its element blocking which I prefer to that of Adguard.
Edit: AG desktop offers also an option (in the context menu) to remove elements. Nevertheless, what you said, made me curious. So I did a very small test on the site https://www.telegraaf.nl/.
I removed next element and copied the uBO-rule to AG (User rules). The simple cosmetic rule is:
www.telegraaf.nl##.NewsletterForm__slimVariant.NewsletterForm__themed.NewsletterForm
And yes, the rule also works in AG.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-15 191139.jpg

AG's own cosmetic filtering makes the rule:
telegraaf.nl###content > div.PageWrapper__content.PageWrapper__content--twoColumns.Homepage.Main__main:last-child > div.TwoColumns__MainContent:nth-child(2) > div.Section__topBlock:last-child > data-hydrate:nth-child(7) > div.NewsletterForm.NewsletterForm__themed.NewsletterForm__slimVariant:first-child

Last edited:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
I tried the AG browser assistant, but rarely used it as I had UBO blocking cosmetic elements and didn't feel need to change. Have only acted now in case UBO gets pulled when MV3 kicks in, if not for that I would likely have continued with a filter-less UBO, as it never caused problems and preferred (habit) its element picker to that of AG, which I felt was poor in comparison.
Blocked cosmetic items often appeared on screen for a split second when blocked with the AG element tool and AG rule syntax, the same item blocked with UBO rule set did not appear at all.

Edit; the UBO rules now in AG still work without momentarily showing the occasional blocked item.

Last edited:

JohnR

Level 2
Feb 19, 2020
I should have persisted with AG element tool and learnt how to use it properly, but silly things niggled, like removing the 'I feel lucky' button on Google search..
AG wanted to remove both it a the 'Google search' button and I ran out of patience after around 30 seconds of trying, UBO removed 'I feel lucky' with a couple of clicks :)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

AG's own cosmetic filtering makes the rule:
telegraaf.nl###content > div.PageWrapper__content.PageWrapper__content--twoColumns.Homepage.Main__main:last-child > div.TwoColumns__MainContent:nth-child(2) > div.Section__topBlock:last-child > data-hydrate:nth-child(7) > div.NewsletterForm.NewsletterForm__themed.NewsletterForm__slimVariant:first-child
Tip: cosmetic elements with a lot of > marks are more prone to changes than cosmetic rules without. When creating cosmetic rules try to move the second slider to the left. When the highlighted (pinky orange) rectangular (marking what will be hidden) increases a bit, that is okay. Move the right slider back when it also covers content you DON'T want to hide. In the picture below the right cosmetic rule is probably more stable because it blocks a higher entity.

1692168933082.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.