uBlock v.s. uBlock Origin

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Though you have listed the below, I don't see how anyone's choice would affect your opinions, unless you're picking on popularity-based votes:
  • Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM)
  • Real World System Impact
  • User Friendliness
  • User Interface
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker)
  • Overall Winner
I've read the FAQ, but Ublock and Ublock Origin are very similar in what they do. However, they are developed by different people, as you know. It's similar to a Chromium or Firefox clone, do you use the original or forked-version? And why, for what reason?

For testing purpose, I have used Ublock (when gorhill owned it), it's resource usage was lower than most common (free) AdBlockers on the market (at the time).

It's Real World system impact would differ from system to system; do you have a powerful or weak machine?

I would base User Friendliness on the Options, which include modification of settings and using custom lists, whitelists etc.

User Interface would be quite simply the icon on the browser UI, and it's menu (when clicked).

Levels of protection / features would depend on what you are looking for in an AdBlocker. Some users would want more than an AdBlocker, and include features for Anti-Tracking, Disable of Acceptable Ads etc.

Overall winner is the preferred choice with some of reasons give by other members, ie. actively developed etc.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for all your reply.:)

It's similar to a Chromium or Firefox clone, do you use the original or forked-version? And why, for what reason?
Sorry, but I do not want to use Chromium, just because I do not like the color of its icon.:p
In addition, I have not heard of Firefox clone...

It's Real World system impact would differ from system to system; do you have a powerful or weak machine?
I think it is neither very powerful nor very weak. Maybe we can call it an average machine.

User Interface would be quite simply the icon on the browser UI, and it's menu (when clicked).
For me, the most frequently used interface is neither the icon nor the click-menu, but the element selector.
I have done a few tests on uBlock Origin.
In my own opinion, the element selector of uBlock Origin is not as user friendly as Adblock (ADB).

Levels of protection / features would depend on what you are looking for in an AdBlocker. Some users would want more than an AdBlocker, and include features for Anti-Tracking, Disable of Acceptable Ads etc.
Could you introduce something on the capabilities of anti-tracking and disabling acceptable ads of uBlock Origin or uBlock?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sorry, but I do not want to use Chromium, just because I do not like the color of its icon.:p
In addition, I have not heard of Firefox clone...
It was rhetorical question, meaning I wasn't directly asking you, but more as an example for Ublock or Ublock Origin. Surprised that you haven't heard of any Firefox clones, when most of them are discussed here, (Browsers, Add-ons and Plug-ins)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.