Mar 3, 2011
desktopzn.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Have been playing with Unbutu only on my VM ..so I don't got any real experience with this OS.But I would add to the Pro's - very slim chance of getting infected since their aren't that many malware threats for Linux ...(yet!) :p

I'm seriously thinking of installing Unbutu 11.04 on my system...this OS seems to be improving with every release...

:eek:fftopic: Congratulation for being the first member who has started a written review! You've got +5 Rep and my respect! :D

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Wow, that's a lot of rep, thanks :D
And I'll add that to the pros, thanks for reminding me!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Unity (based on Gnome 2.x) was already the default interface for Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition. It has been re-written and it is now the default interface for Ubuntu (netbook edition doesn't exist anymore). It also supports Compiz, actually Compiz is required to run this version of Unity. Probably this is why it feels sluggish on some systems and unfortunately it doesn't run in virtual machines (both VMWare and VirtualBox) yet. But the fact that the new interface is different doesn't have to mean that it's bad. Ubuntu's philosophy is "Linux for human beings" and even though it might not be the best Linux distro for everyone, it is certainly the most popular. So making a desktop that works for most users, making things easier for new users (who will probably love Unity) will make Ubuntu even more popular. A bold decision nevertheless.

Default applications: Banshee replaced Rhythmbox and is now the default audio player and Libre Office replaced Open Office. (Recently Oracle announced that will release OpenOffice back to the open source community.)

I think that you can tweak some Unity settings using CompizConfig Settings Manager (not installed by default, but available in Software Center).
As far as I know there is a non-Compiz version of Unity in the repositories: Unity 2D (Qt).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I would agree for the pros
Very slim chance of getting infected; there is very little malware being made for Linux, even these day (note that it's still possible)

Main reason why I'm in a linux (Puppy Linux) :)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Kubuntu still works on VMs as far as I know.

Yes, the KDE interface still works just fine. (Updated my Kubuntu to 11.04 yesterday as well as Ubuntu)

Ubuntu 11.04 works on VM's, it just defaults to the 'classic' GNOME interface instead of using Unity. I'm assuming it's due to the virtual graphics drivers, because my system (even on VM) meets the required specs, other than the recommended video cards, which are replaced by the VMWare equivalent.

I think if Ubuntu really wants to win Windows users over, they need to rethink some of their software strategies. For example, it comes bundled with Firefox, but only the latest major release. So when a new version comes out, you need to either manually add the URL's to the development repositories to get an automated update, or manually install it yourself. Even then, you'll have trouble updating some extensions because the Ubuntu extension that interfaces between the program manager and Firefox will not work on the new browser release. :(

Distros like OpenSUSE however, consider software like this to be normal update material, so a day after FF 4.0 was released, the latest version was served to users with no manual interaction on the users part.

However, Ubuntu isn't as bad as some Distros. CentOS still doesn't have any support for FF 4.0 because FF has dumped some of the critical libraries that are needed to run on CentOS. So currently, if you want to run FF 4.0, you'll need to install some libraries from Fedora. The latest FF release on CentOS is 3.6.17... :rolleyes:

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
I would agree for the pros
Very slim chance of getting infected; there is very little malware being made for Linux, even these day (note that it's still possible)

Main reason why I'm in a linux (Puppy Linux) :)
Doesn't Puppy run all users as root? (a major security flaw)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Puppy Linux has been criticized for running all users as root and its lack of available applications..

Link

Yes all users are run as root.
Besides I like how puppy copy to RAM and save the session and also it boot faster even the first time I use it .

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
jamescv7 said:

Since part of the reason Linux is generally considered more secure than Windows is because user accounts are limited, running as ROOT defeats this purpose.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
HeffeD said:
jamescv7 said:

Since part of the reason Linux is generally considered more secure than Windows is because user accounts are limited, running as ROOT defeats this purpose.
Plus it has that horrible fake transparency effect that KDE had before it was replaced by real transparency.
It's just a cut image of the wallpaper stuck on the task bar. Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.