Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Codename and Release Date

[correlate]

Level 18
Thread author
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
This is a continually updated article about upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release. All the important develops associated with this release is added to this page.
Ubuntu 19.10 is about to be released today and we already have some updates on the upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release due in April 2020.
Ubuntu 20.04 is called Focal Fossa
As OMG! Ubuntu first noted, Ubuntu 20.04 has been codenamed “Focal Fossa”.
The codenames of Ubuntu releases are composed of two words starting with the same letter. First world is usually and adjective while the second word is usually an animal species.
Focal is a common English world meaning “center or most important part”. Fossa is a cat-like animal found in Madagascar.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just installed on my VirtualBox and here're my initial opinions

1) Much stable than Linux Mint Mate 19.3 which I was trying for the past week. Linux Mint Mate was finicky at times giving this and that problem. Overhauled and use Ubuntu 20.04 instead
2) Still have issues with USB devices especially flash drives and SSDs. Before installing Ubuntu/Linux Mint there's no issue with USB devices but after installation of Ubuntu/Linux Mint the USB selection grays out and the mentioned USB devices cannot be detected. Someone on the Linux forum commented that the mentioned USB devices are 'Bad' devices in the sense that they can be detected by the host machine but not by the guest machine.
3) Followed whatever latest links to install TOR browser in Ubuntu 20.04 but failed. Some links showed its successful but they couldn't work on my machine. No issue installing and running TOR browser in Linux Mint.
4) Installed Brave browser on both Ubuntu/Linux Mint. Can install and run but CANNOT be firejail through auto detection. Not sure how to firejail Brave browser.
5) Cannot drag-and-drop files from Ubuntu-to/fro-Windows 10 even with 'Bidirectional' selected and UFW disabled. No issue in Linux Mint.
6) Does Ubuntu 20.02 comes with a default snapshot feature? Looks troublesome like the need to install Timeshift(or similar program) and create a bootable USB flash drive

Anyone using this Ubuntu 20.04? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Just installed on my VirtualBox and here're my initial opinions

1) Much stable than Linux Mint Mate 19.3 which I was trying for the past week. Linux Mint Mate was finicky at times giving this and that problem. Overhauled and use Ubuntu 20.04 instead
2) Still have issues with USB devices especially flash drives and SSDs. Before installing Ubuntu/Linux Mint there's no issue with USB devices but after installation of Ubuntu/Linux Mint the USB selection grays out and the mentioned USB devices cannot be detected. Someone on the Linux forum commented that the mentioned USB devices are 'Bad' devices in the sense that they can be detected by the host machine but not by the guest machine.
3) Followed whatever latest links to install TOR browser in Ubuntu 20.04 but failed. Some links showed its successful but they couldn't work on my machine. No issue installing and running TOR browser in Linux Mint.
4) Installed Brave browser on both Ubuntu/Linux Mint. Can install and run but CANNOT be firejail through auto detection. Not sure how to firejail Brave browser.
5) Cannot drag-and-drop files from Ubuntu-to/fro-Windows 10 even with 'Bidirectional' selected and UFW disabled. No issue in Linux Mint.
6) Does Ubuntu 20.02 comes with a default snapshot feature? Looks troublesome like the need to install Timeshift(or similar program) and create a bootable USB flash drive

Anyone using this Ubuntu 20.04? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
why not you submitted this to their official forums may be there is a Fix for your problem ??
try these commands in the following link:

however notice you try this on Virtual machine it is preferred to be installed in actual machine and try to reproduce the problem may it vanish when it is installed on actual physical machine.also make sure you have latest VMware/virtual box installed with latest vmaware tools/guest installation tools installed with virtual client

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
why not you submitted this to their official forums may be there is a Fix for your problem ??
try these commands in the following link:

however notice you try this on Virtual machine it is preferred to be installed in actual machine and try to reproduce the problem may it vanish when it is installed on actual physical machine.also make sure you have latest VMware/virtual box installed with latest vmaware tools/guest installation tools installed with virtual client
I have already all the latest VB 6.1.6 and its extension pack and guest additions with the Ubuntu 20.04

Not planning to use double boot just running in VM will do

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have already all the latest VB 6.1.6 and its extension pack and guest additions with the Ubuntu 20.04

Not planning to use double boot just running in VM will do
I installed Kubuntu 20.04 today in a dual boot setup and I am very happy with it.

To get USB devices detected and working in your VB virtual machine -- assuming you are on a linux host -- you need to add your user account to vboxusers group. run this:

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

And then log out.

Note that this command will not work on a limited (standard) user account. If you are using such an account, then replace $USER with your actual user name.
The reason for this is the sudo, thus the environment variable $USER will add your admin or root account to the group, rather than the user account that you intended.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I installed Kubuntu 20.04 today in a dual boot setup and I am very happy with it.

I am planning on installing it in VirtualBox later today. How would you compare it to 19.10? So far I have installed Manjaro KDE and really like it. I am still on the fence on using PopOS, mostly because I don't mind Gnome personally and I really like the new tiling feature they have coming in 20.04. That being said, I just recently discovered that KDE can also do tiling by adding a script. Decisions, decisions....:unsure:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am planning on installing it in VirtualBox later today. How would you compare it to 19.10? So far I have installed Manjaro KDE and really like it. I am still on the fence on using PopOS, mostly because I don't mind Gnome personally and I really like the new tiling feature they have coming in 20.04. That being said, I just recently discovered that KDE can also do tiling by adding a script. Decisions, decisions....:unsure:
Kubuntu 19.10 was good, too!
I guess what really impressed me with 20.04 was the initial experience. I plugged the live USB into a brand new laptop with i5 10th gen, and Nvidia graphics, and it started up without hiccups. It also did an optional disk check, and offered me a fail-safe graphic setting. But I didn't need either. All I needed to do was go into system settings and enable clicking for the trackpad, and everything worked perfectly.

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

To get USB devices detected and working in your VB virtual machine -- assuming you are on a linux host -- you need to add your user account to vboxusers group. run this:

And then log out.

Note that this command will not work on a limited (standard) user account. If you are using such an account, then replace $USER with your actual user name.
The reason for this is the sudo, thus the environment variable $USER will add your admin or root account to the group, rather than the user account that you intended.
I'm on Windows host using administartor account so is the procedure the same? If yes, what should I replace $USER with or just type

will do? Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I mean that you don't need to run any command at all.
But my problem is that it cannot detect USB devices in VM but in my host machine it's ok

1588078282951.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, managed to install TOR browser in Ubuntu 20.04 However, Brave browser has an update issue i.e. cannot update to the latest version 1.8.86. The installed version is one version earlier.

Drag-and-drop reported not working in Ubuntu 20.04

And Ubuntu 20.04 comes with an experimental ZFS snapshot feature

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Two(2) more issues.

After installing expressvpn deb package and have expressvpn connected successfully FF and Brave browsers can open but they say cannot find the site ie. can't surf the web. No such issue on my previous Linux Mate

In FF when I saved the bookmarks html file to Ubuntu desktop and use TOR browser to navigate to search for the file it could not be found i.e. it can find the desktop but cannot display the items on the desktop. I need to save the bookmark html file in another folder (Downloads) then Tor browser can find and import the html file.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, I was able to get my USB stick detected after installing VB 6.1.8 with its Extension Pack and Guest Additions. The rest of the problems seem to be Ubuntu-related so have to wait for the 20.04.1 release somewhere in July this year

and the 20.1 also looks like 3rd quarter to end of this year

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ubuntu 20.04 Point Release (20.04.1) has been delayed till 6 August

Hope that it can solve many of the issues faced for the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release. Expect it to have less issues than Linux Mint Mate 20 which came later than Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

A second point release might take place in October this year as well

BTW, both are easy to use

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.