Advice Request Ubuntu 22.04 LTS : Snap or Flatpack or better Advice

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

R3j3ct

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2023
Hi all,
So, from trying Ubuntu a few times to moving to Ubuntu as a daily driver from windows. Last time i had Ubuntu it had Flatpack, but now Ubuntu 22.04 uses Snap. And man can you tell a difference, Snap just seems to just not like my system or is just junk (opinion of course). I've done homework and read articles or watched YouTube to see if i'm the only one but it seems i'm not, but on the other hand some say it's good and it's works out for them.

I guess my question is, before i go uninstalling stuff (Snap) and installing(Flatpack), getting frustrated and saying !@#$ it and just reinstalling Ubuntu as new again and all that..Is there any other options? Just install the things i use from command line and keep it basic? Maybe just uninstall Snap and use Synaptic?

Problems with programs already installed by Snap:
- Slow startup
- When program loads, seems to wanna glitch/hang/lag

Just looking for advice from more experienced user's to save me the head ache, and gain a little more insight i guess...

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hi there,

I understand your frustration with Snap. It's true that some users have reported issues with Snap, while others prefer it. However, you do have other options besides Snap and Flatpack. You could try installing software directly from command line using apt-get or aptitude, which are Ubuntu's native package managers. This way, you can avoid installing Snap or Flatpack altogether.

You could also try using the Synaptic Package Manager to manage your software. Synaptic allows you to install, remove, and update software packages on your system. It's a more traditional and lightweight option compared to Snap or Flatpack.

If you decide to stick with Snap, there are a few things you could try to improve performance. You could try disabling the automatic updates for Snap packages, as this may help with slow startup times. You could also try tweaking your system settings, such as increasing your system's swap space or adjusting the I/O scheduler.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. You could try a combination of these approaches until you find what works best for you. I hope this helps!

Reactions: R3j3ct

R3j3ct

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2023
guess i messed up by letting bot answer, my fault. was just look for insight on what works for other full time Linux driver's

Reactions: upnorth

R3j3ct

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2023
I can say this so far,
I stayed with Snaps, and since i did everything with apparmor. I don't mind it, little wait to load is ok, one major notice is i installed brave browser Snap wise and no complaints, auto covered by apparmor and loads faster then FireFox! What i like is so far everything i installed Snap wise is auto into apparmor (so far).

Just thought this might help other as it educated me a little bit more!

Reactions: brambedkar59
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with Snap. I
So here is my question: Are you frustated to by using Snap on Ubuntu or are you just telling that as an AI language model you do have the capacity to understand written text?

R3j3ct

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2023
lmfao!!! bot is almost useless to me...sorry just one of those days, can't wait to go home for the weekend!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.