Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: ubuntu vs window

Well, I say both. Windows is great for games, and Ubuntu I guess is best for everything else? I would have no idea really when it comes to Ubuntu.

P

Plexx

Could I ask if you simply want Ubuntu or prefer other distros?

If you still want Ubuntu based, then I recommend Xubuntu and Lubuntu.

If you want other distros that are easy straight forward, LinuxMint (which you will need to choose the desktop environment version (Gnome etc).

Windows to run most windows programs without much fuss and games.

Linux depending on the distro can require advanced knowledge to operate such as Slackware based, Fedora core based etc.

In the end it depends on the requirements and usage the user needs/have.

I believe HeffeD and elliotcroft can fill you in further within the linux distros field as I am rather rusty on some type of distros and its functions

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

Windows
Pros:Good for games
Vast Amount of applications to use
Most people know how to use this system
Cons:
Malware
Fragmentation
Costs money

Ubuntu
Pros:
Has many software installed already
Fast
almost* Malware Free
a good amount of software to run
Free, opensource with large amount of volunteers
Cons:
not as large amount of apps as windows
many popular games do not support ubuntu

D

Deleted member 178

the question is not if Linux is better than Windows, every knows that Linux is better made, lighter, safer, and customizable.

you should ask yourself :

1- i am a gamer ? yes? no?
2- do i need many Windows apps? yes ? no?
3- do i just just surf on internet and listen music and watch videos? yes? no?

if you answered "No" for 1 &2 and "Yes" for 3 , you better have to use Linux

it seems to be too simple, but it is very true.

edit: added "better made" instead of just "better"

D

Deleted member 178

For this one, my opinion after using it and also collected from many friends who shifted from Windows to Linux after using it for a while.

I should say "better made" instead of just "better".

P

Plexx

Saying Linux is better than Windows is the same as saying Mac is better than windows.

All have their pros and cons based on the user needs.

As I said, even if Linux is "better", you will then have the different distros and not all of them are user friendly. As a matter of a fact most are not.

D

Deleted member 178

just MY observations, i used Unbuntu and Mint for a while, i felt them far more stable and light than any Windows i tried, no freezes, crashes, BSODs, or hundreds of patches, etc...

i know that each have pros and cons, but an OS that is more stable and light than another, is "better" for me, in my opinion. I don't mention about user-friendliness because it varies from users to users.

I don't switch to Linux since i need many Windows softs, need to stay on windows and be in touch with it for my work, etc...

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012

Hello

well mabe not which one is better but which one is more usefull to some

one of my friends that was in collage and using Windows Xp to do some of his school work on kept getting Viruses because
him and his wife would go to risky sites if you know what i mean and i would fix there pc all the time and most of the
time it was so bad i would have to reinstall Windows

i tryed alot of different software to help them like Sandboxie,Firewall with HIP's,Mbam,and Avast Free,Hitman Pro but thay
would not use them or understand how to use them thay did not like Sandboxie because thay would have to get there downloads
out of it and did not like that

thay would turn off the Firewall because of all the popups or thay made the wrong choices and there programs would not work
thay would use Avast but not the other scanners and then it was to late thay where already infested

so one time i was cleaning his pc at my house because his ISP shut him off because his pc was sending to much spam out and
he seen my Ubuntu box and i told him to check it out and he liked it and asked me to put it on his box so i did

now he don't call me no more saying he has a virus and he and his wife can still do what thay did and he still can do his
school work get there email watch what thay want to most of the things that thay did before and thay are happy with it

the only trouble i'v ran into with linux is when you upgrade the upgrade can mess up and i'v had to reinstall and about games
i read Steam is comming so gamming could get better

i like to read Dedoimedo lot's of good info and the guy that owns it go's by the name Mrkvonic on Wilders he is a Linux Systems Expert

Dedoimedo
http://www.dedoimedo.com/

Should you upgrade your Ubuntu - and how?
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-upgrade.html

Steam is coming to Linux
http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/steam-linux.html

Linux has a learning curve and so do's Windows but thats what it's all about where all still learning anyhow i know i am

Regards

James

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012

Depend's upon your need, if you are just into browsing, multimedia and office ( Word, Excel, Powerpoint) related work you should be fine on both, though Ubuntu is a bit hassle free when it comes to malware / viruses.

P.S. it's bloatware free. (Not that you can't manually uninstall the bloatware on windows)

You can just try out both see what suits your needs, though if you are into gaming you are gonna have a hard time on Ubuntu :(.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
RE: Unbutu vs Windows

In My point of view:

Price:Linux
Looks:Windows
Speed:Windows
Usability:Windows
Features:Windows
Everything else:Windows
Security:http:Windows

So Windows get 6 out of 7 from my point of view
P.S. Its my personal view and everyone have right to give their personal opinion:D

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
superboy123 said:
Can i ask you something...why linux is does not have vius.???..just want to know...

they do have virus but its not like windows,lets take mac for example they were making fake advertisement that you won't get infected with it but for how long?they did, so its all depend on how big the os userbase is :)

D

Deleted member 178

i was a very basic Linux user but from what i heard, the kernel of Linux is less vulnerable to malwares than Windows, also it has less users and not popular in corporate environment so less attractive for cyber-criminals to make profits.

Steve

Oct 22, 2012

Biozfear said:
Linux is far more customizable when it comes to looks, Stranger :)

Linux is customizable but i agree with stranger that looks of windows are far better than linux.
Display brightness and clearness of windows is far better that is why images and videos are look pleasant in xp win 7 and windows 8 respectively

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

Steve said:
Linux is customizable but i agree with stranger that looks of windows are far better than linux.
Display brightness and clearness of windows is far better that is why images and videos are look pleasant in xp win 7 and windows 8 respectively

I am confused, there is no difference between the images and videos I see on Windows and Linux on the same laptop. :huh:

P

Plexx

When I say linux is more customizable when it comes to looks, I am referring to Desktop Enviroments variations etc.

In windows, you can only either use Windows Blind or Themes (bblean for windows is rather buggy if you can make it to work on windows 7). Sure there are some shell replacements for windows but how many work with Windows 7 at its full potential?

On linux you have different Desktop Environments to suit different needs such as minimalistic users, information heavy users etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.