Battle Ubuntu vs Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
So I downloaded Ubuntu two months ago or so.............Should I stick with that, or do a fresh Linux download of some sort? Does Linksys wireless software work with Linux?

I am looking for an alternative OS to keep on a DVD. I am going to gradually chip away at it until I get cozy with it. If all works out, I may never return to Windows. I don't need all the whacked out fluff that is on the monster OS's. I am mostly a surfer and general info junkie. Good video, good picture quality and good sound are all I need otherwise. I don't need all the bells and whistles. I do the typical email/online banking/online ordering stuff, so what-of-that pertinent to Linux?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
If you want to go for an Ubuntu based GNU/Linux distribution, I'd recommend Kubuntu, as KDE is older (believe it or not) and more refined (in my opinion) than Desktop Environments such as GNOME.
For me, going from Kubuntu to Windows is a much steeper learning curve than vice versa.
If you've heard that Ubuntu isn't user friendly, then you should really know that this hasn't been much of a problem since MS DOS was facing similar issues. The Ubuntu Software Centre (or Muon in Kubuntu, though I feel it inferior to KDE's own Apper) has pretty much any software that you may need to install. Even if it doesn't, then you can simply go searching for a .deb installer, which is similar to .msi in Windows.
Kernel mode is often described as one of the nightmares of GNU/Linux, but it really is only needed in cases where you'd have to reboot in Windows.
There is also a graphical browser available in Kernel Mode which uses framebuffer, called NetSurf. Unfortunately, it has a monstrous list of dependencies which all have their own monstrous list of dependencies, which have to be installed using the terminal. It isn't all that hard, just incredibly tedious.
For now, gaming is limited primarily to Windows, but Valve are in the middle of creating a client that will work on GNU/Linux, so Steam's huge gaming library may soon be available even on Ubuntu.
In short, I'd recommend Ubuntu for a standard user, as the advantage of Windows lies in its rich source of applications, many of which will be completely useless for a standard user. If you need the applications that only Windows can use, then use Windows. Even if you do need Windows, you can dual boot the two Operating Systems by partitioning your hard drive and installing *Ubuntu on one and Windows on the other.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
ZOU1 said:
I now have Kubuntu on a DVD. I need to partition my drive. I am about half way through the steps and I am at a loss.

What guide are you following? Give a little more detail for these awesome guys to help you!

EDIT: I know you've already made a DVD and so it doesn't matter but if I were you, I'd create a bootable USB next time around. It's cheaper and more convenient IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.