UFS formerly known as URLFilterService

U

uncle bill

Thread author
Hello guys. This is a free software of mine. It does internet filtering. It was born for personal needs and has evolved into a free filtering solution. It works completely on your local machine: no data is collected and sent outside. Can be used as adblocker, anti tracker and generally to block unwanted internet content of any kind. It can be used to build a personal trusted list of sites. It works best with Edge and IE but works with almost any browser out there thanks to dns filtering. Instead of browsers javascript plugins it's fully coded in C and works injecting its filtering code inside processes: this mean it has no integration with external process but should be more performant. The gui, that is also coded in c, is minimal but functional. It integrates multiple layers of filtering to help parents to protect kids while they surf the web, and/or other purposes.

Home page: URLFilterService – name resolution and web filtering for Microsoft Edge and other apllications
A demonstration video: http://www.urlfilterservice.net/video/namespace.mp4

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Thank you for sharing.
It seems it could be interesting .
But to spread it worldwide you should have written it in English maybe .( I see Italian language in the video )
Anyway I understand that since it is free, you can't/ don't want to put more effort in it

Thank you again . I will try it when I have time

Oh ...Does it work for every app in windows store ?
( for example adguard DNS don't work in Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / and probably something else .. They say )

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0
W

Wave

Thread author
The software looks nice although I am yet to test it, that being said, hooking really isn't a good idea for this since it can cause instability and browser vendors may make changes which can cause your software to improperly work.

A better supported, documented and secure method would be to just develop a browser extension which works with the target browsers API library, or a device driver capable of monitoring the network (to block specific hosts). For example, on Google Chrome you have the webRequest.onBeforeRequest which can be registered to a callback function and therefore used to block connections (that is the same method Avast use for their extension for web filtering). You can find an example sample here: Sample Extensions - Google Chrome

U

uncle bill

Thread author
Thank you for sharing.
It seems it could be interesting .
But to spread it worldwide you should have written it in English maybe .( I see Italian language in the video )
Anyway I understand that since it is free, you can't/ don't want to put more effort in it

Thank you again . I will try it when I have time

Oh ...Does it work for every app in windows store ?
( for example adguard DNS don't work in Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / and probably something else .. They say )

You can't see it in the video but english is also available and can be easy selected when you start interfaccia. Other languages can be easily added by everyone just translating the file english.txt that can be found inside installdir\languages. About winstore apps i can say it works for sure with many of them (tested by me) but i can't say it can work for any of them... so give it a try and let me know if you want.

Reactions: Dirk41
U

uncle bill

Thread author
The software looks nice although I am yet to test it, that being said, hooking really isn't a good idea for this since it can cause instability and browser vendors may make changes which can cause your software to improperly work.

A better supported, documented and secure method would be to just develop a browser extension which works with the target browsers API library, or a device driver capable of monitoring the network (to block specific hosts). For example, on Google Chrome you have the webRequest.onBeforeRequest which can be registered to a callback function and therefore used to block connections (that is the same method Avast use for their extension for web filtering). You can find an example sample here: Sample Extensions - Google Chrome

I do agree that injection is not a good way to do things but to me was the simplest (ONE FOR ALL) solution and now it works as it should. I'm aware that UFS can stop to work properly sooner or later but that is not a problem to me because i stay away from things i can't control... not to mention that I really don't like javascript.
;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.