Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
UK phone companies will have to find ways to identify and blocked spoofed calls, according to the communications regulator Ofcom. It said that the new rules will protect people against scammers using fake phone numbers. Ofcom says that 75% of people have had suspicious calls and texts in the last three months.

Under the new rules, Ofcom will require all telephone networks to identify and block spoofed calls where technically feasible. It said that phone companies should ensure numbers meet the UK’s 10- or 11-digit format, they should block calls from numbers that are on Ofcom’s Do Not Originate list, and calls from abroad that spoof UK caller IDs should also be blocked.

TalkTalk has implemented these new rules voluntarily, and it has seen a 65% decrease in the number of scam call complaints from customers. Other phone companies that aren’t in compliance will have six months to make the necessary changes, the rules will start to be enforced from May 2023. Unfortunately, Ofcom has not provided details about the fines it will slap on companies that fail to implement the new guidelines.

While the move should make things better for people, individuals can take action against spam calls right now from their phone. In iOS 13 or later, you can silence unknown callers, so you’re not interrupted, the Phone app for Android has similar protections.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
We had a scammer phoning the landline earlier this year, using a series of sequential numbers. We knew it was likely to be them because we get very, very few landline calls. This occurred shortly after we had transferred our landline and broadband service to British Telecom (BT), the largest telecom supplier in the UK, they also service much of the infrastructure through their Openreach division. I'm not saying there was a link to either the new or old supplier, but we'd never had any 'nuisance' calls on that number before, the coincidence was very noticeable though. We logged the numbers used by checking the last number used and supplied them to BT, who got back to us and said there was nothing they could do about it. Now, they will have to do something about it. Good news!

We used the 'block number' facility on our account to stop the calls, we guess they eventually run out of numbers to call us on rather than realise that we were unlikely to fall for their scam.

BTW the scam was about repairs to the new driveway surface that the company had installed recently. We don't have a driveway.

Razza

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 12, 2014
This occurred shortly after we had transferred our landline
I had a similar issue on my mobile moved my number from Vodafone to Three, all the years on Vodafone can't remember last time I received a scam call since moving the number get a scam call at least once per week where before it very rarely, I do think some telecom provider are good at filtering scam caller where others don't seem to do a good job.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.