Battle Ultimate Browser Battle 2020: -Chrome -Edge -Brave -Firefox -Vivaldi

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
On Windows:
Chrome - For compatibility.
Edge - Fast Chromium alternative. I might replace Chrome with Edge.

On Linux:
Brave - Fast and light browser with built-in ad block and privacy features. No tweaking required.

I've been having problems with Firefox on Linux for some odd reason which is why I picked Brave.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
My favorites are no doubt Edge and Opera GX.
I'm using Edge now, because Kaspersky doesn't support Opera browsers.

Edge is literally the same with Chrome, Vivaldi on the other hand, feels really new, light and fast
Not the same, Edge homepage/new tab is great, it already comes with Windows, so you don't need to waste more disk space installing chrome. It automatically logins your Microsoft/Outlook account, that you use on Windows, on all Microsoft sites. It's a much better option imo. The android version comes with Adblock Plus built-in.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, it seems Vivaldi has a market share of only .07%. By comparison, Chrome has a share of 68%.

Chromium Edge has all the right stuff far as I'm concerned, it's my primary. I'm trying Vivaldi now. It's interesting. The interface appeals to nerds and tweakers. The rest: the layout may be confusing and overwhelming, maybe enough to give up on it.

Example: I could not, for the life of me, find the setting box to play YouTube music in the background, regardless of which tab was open. There was nothing in a search, even! Finally, I stumbled across it, it turns out this setting is on the Tabs page but you might have to scroll down depending on how big your browser page is. It can be pretty much hidden.

As a chromium fork, Vivaldi is very fast and loads pages cleanly and efficiently. Its memory consumption is a touch more than chromium Edge but not offensively so. Cpu usage is similar. Best of all, you can configure the webpages to change colors and backgrounds every time you open a new tab. So, Vivaldi for me is configured to be very psychedelic. o_O (y)

Still learning about Vivaldi. But my experiences overall are positive so far.

Market share source

mktshrviv.png

Edit: here's an "issue:" Opening tabs in new windows. Believe it or not, Vivaldi does not have this by default, nor is it intuitive on how to get something like that to work for you. I went to "mouse" section in settings and highlighted various gestures. What you ultimately can do is right-click a link to open it in a new window instead of over-writing your currently open window. So far, I have not seen an update to Vivaldi that enables this standard feature across many browsers. So this is something that may be a negative for some. I can adapt to this, though.

Last edited:

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
My favorites are no doubt Edge and Opera GX.
I'm using Edge now, because Kaspersky doesn't support Opera browsers.

Not the same, Edge homepage/new tab is great, it already comes with Windows, so you don't need to waste more disk space installing chrome. It automatically logins your Microsoft/Outlook account, that you use on Windows, on all Microsoft sites. It's a much better option imo. The android version comes with Adblock Plus built-in.

Just update, patch j support Edge Chromium

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
I have been a long run Firefox user, maybe like 10 years
Tried Edge Chromium back in november and I switched it as my main browser. Why? Better battery savings that Firefox, at least on my perception
Currently I am trying Brave after years without using it on desktop. However, I like better Edge Chromium + estrict settings + AdGuard (extra filters enabled) + Kaspersky Protection than Brave alone. Brave custom adblocking looks to be pretty barebone... And using Brave + AdGuard sounds bit strange haha
Currrently saw Privacy Possum
However, I feel like Brave is faster but less smooth than Edge Chromium.
I might consider Brave as a everyday option, but no sync options right now (although for passwords I use BitWarden)
About Firefox, it is my second option right now, Brave is just being tested

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I mostly use Firefox, but am trying out Brave for my phone. I also have Brave on the desktop to try out, but haven’t had enough time to decide how I like it. I still use Chrome for transactions...and sometime just feel like turning on Privacy Badger and using it again full time. I am not too worried about advertising and it’s the best for compatibility. But Chromium Edge is seeming the fastest and slickest lately. For now while I can’t decide Firefox wins out.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Edge for me. Scrolling is smoother than with any other chromium browser. It automatically logins your outlook account from windows, it has a very nice New Tab, with a background picture and news, you can personalize everything. It's compatible with windows Smart Screen and has more security/provacy settings.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.