Battle Ultimate Browser Battle 2020: -Chrome -Edge -Brave -Firefox -Vivaldi

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Disclaimer: This is my current use/preference of browsers. Since I stopped switching security programs, my only 'application switching/hopping behavior'' is directed to webbrowsers and adblocking extensions .:eek::geek:

On Android Phone Opera Mobile (I like the concept of speed dial on mobile), on PC Brave for browsing bookmarked websites (privacy oriented use) and Edge-Chromium for searching and surfing (security oriented)

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I have an issue with Vivaldi that causes the tabs to be pretty small I'll give it a try after my next uninstall - I was a fan of New Edge since Beta but after using Brave on & off I pretty sure I'll stick with it. I really like the security & apart from niggles with it I can't see me moving from it - I put it on my other half newish lappy a while ago (from edge) & she is yet to notice lol - As for market share, for me counts for nothing the most popular cars in the UK etc certainly aren't the best :):):)

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
This is weird to hear because Chromium Edge actually has pretty terrible smooth scrolling and they themselves agree :unsure: Firefox and the old Edge has far better smooth scrolling but the Edge team is working on it and it should be better soon hopefully.
I'm not using the smooth scrolling option in Flags, just the default. Have you tried it? It's so smooth. I notice a big difference to Chrome and Opera. Microsoft Details Improved Scrolling for Edge, Chromium - Thurrott.com
Maybe it isn't as good as in the old Edge, but that doesn't mean it's not still better than Chrome.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Across 3 laptops over 15 years, Firefox remains my first choice because it works beautifully with tools like uBO and I can customize it to work around various website annoyances. Slimjet (version of Chromium) has been my backup browser for the last few years for those sites that don't work with Firefox. Edge is OK, but I find it superfluous.

On Android, Chomium-based ad-blocking Kiwi Browser is my preferred choice because it's the only one that works well on low-spec devices like mine.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Not much anymore, except for the initial setup of DoH. I used to tweak settings for "fast computer, slow connection" when those conditions applied.
You can access to DOH without using about:configs nowadays
dnssss.png

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

@oldschool: Not funny. I use the best user.js for Firefox a long time: the ghacks user.js and you break website features and even websites itself with some configs.

Many even make you more unique in fingerprint

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@oldschool: Not funny. I use the best user.js for Firefox a long time: the ghacks user.js and you break website features and even websites itself with some configs.

Many even make you more unique in fingerprint
I think @oldschool likes to enjoy life. Anyone who's life depends on digital security probably isn't perusing this forum and discussing it seriously. It's why people like @cruelsister come and go. They are so far beyond us, and have different concerns. At the end of the day this is an enthusiast site, but this isn't the forum for security being of concern to one's livelihood or well being. Not to say there isn't value in security for everyday folks, and that discussions can't be serious. But, we can also have fun. Whatever your fingerprint strategy is, you're being tracked by someone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.