Advice Request Umatrix and Noscript Security Suite

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
uMatrix is an in-browser firewall that lets you filter webpage elements, connections, and content. It pretty much gives you extremely fine-grained control over every object in a webpage.

It's like an "unleashed" uBlock Origin aimed at tech-savvy users.

NoScript pretty much tears down all executable elements in "untrusted" webpages, utilizing a "default-deny"/whitelist protection scheme (by default, can be changed).

In both cases, the substantial detail is in "control". uMatrix will do very little by itself, it's up to the user to maximize its potential. (as Raymond Hill describes in uMatrix's github page, it's only intended for advanced users)

On the contrary, NoScript can be used even by beginners, due to it's "on/off" nature.

NoScript most usually kills pages, due to its extreme blocking of website elements.
uMatrix allows you which elements specifically to block, so that you can retain the usability of websites.

Depends on the user and the purpose the user intends it for. :D

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
What is their aim? Blocking browser exploits?
As long as it can be a XSS attack that injects malicious scripts into a vulnerable web page, then Noscript could be useful.
In the case of exploit kits like Angler that, via compromises web sites, drops malware running directly in memory, I don't know.
I use the good, old Sandboxie with auto deletion of the virtual area by closing Firefox.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
"wiki Noscript: blocks JavaScript, Java, Flash, Silverlight, and other "active" content by default in Firefox. This is based on the assumption that malicious websites can use these technologies in harmful ways. Users can allow active content to execute on trusted websites, by giving explicit permission, on a temporary or a more permanent basis. If "Temporarily allow" is selected, then scripts are enabled for that site until the browser session is closed.

And as there have mentioned guru's already, U matrix is pretty much all you need addon if you are tech savvy user. Script safe is like that category , it's like No script for firefox. I have been used both for many years,,, i mean No script for firefox and script safe for chrome.

No script protects against cross-scripting and click-jacking even if all is allowed globally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.