Troubleshoot Unable to create bootable usb

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
I encountered this issue a few weeks ago.
As a result IFW make disk and Rufus fail to write partition info to the usb
also diskpart clean fails with an error message which i am unable to access.
the funny part is that Macrium reflect and aomei backupper pro both successfully create bootable usb.
so apparently this is not a bad usb issue.
any assistance would be welcome.
tia

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Hi, are you trying to make a windows bootable usb? or just a bootable usb.

I usually use cmd prompt and had good success rate. try this page http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Create-a-Bootable-USB-Drive-Without-Using-A/

after its created I copy the iso content over to the usb.

IF you are making a windows iso, they have their own utility Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

or you could just use the cmd method and mount the windows iso and copy the content over to the usb.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2016
Hi, are you trying to make a windows bootable usb? or just a bootable usb.

I usually use cmd prompt and had good success rate. try this page http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Create-a-Bootable-USB-Drive-Without-Using-A/

after its created I copy the iso content over to the usb.

IF you are making a windows iso, they have their own utility Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

or you could just use the cmd method and mount the windows iso and copy the content over to the usb.

Good Luck!
Thamks for the assistance. My problem is also that when I do clean in dislpart I get a message that diskpart encountered an error and i should see the log. so I am basically stuck. however, macrium and aomei both are able to create emergency bootable usb on the same device.
BTW I am trying to create a bootable usb with Image for windows by terabyte unlimited.

Reactions: frogboy and Svoll
Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Does it tell you what error when you look at the log? Try the diskpart in safe mode and see if it gives you an error, or try another USB Drive for Terabytes, just for troubleshooting purposes.

Never used Terabyte so no idea there. but i found this at their website.. TeraByte Unlimited Knowledge Base

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
To make the USB device bootable, you need to run a tool named bootsect.exe. In some cases, this tool needs to be downloaded from your Microsoft Store account. This may happen if you're trying to create a 64-bit bootable USB device from a 32-bit version of Windows. To download bootsect:

1. Login to your Microsoft Store account to view your purchase history

2. Look for your Windows 7 purchase.

3. Next to Windows 7, there is an "Additional download options" drop-down menu.

4. In the drop-down menu, select "32-bit ISO."

5. Right-click the link, and then save the bootsect.exe file to the location where you installed the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (e.g. %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool).

6. Once the file has been saved, go back to the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to create your bootable USB device.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.