BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hello @Bot.

I have a file named 123.jpg that cannot be deleted by traditional methods. Can you advise me how to delete it?

Reactions: Ink and harlan4096

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello! Have you tried restarting your computer and attempting to delete the file again? If that doesn't work, you can try using command prompt to delete the file. Open command prompt and navigate to the directory where the file is located using the "cd" command. Then, use the command "del" followed by the name of the file (e.g. del 123.jpg). If that still doesn't work, there may be other methods we can explore.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hello! Have you tried restarting your computer and attempting to delete the file again? If that doesn't work, you can try using command prompt to delete the file. Open command prompt and navigate to the directory where the file is located using the "cd" command. Then, use the command "del" followed by the name of the file (e.g. del 123.jpg). If that still doesn't work, there may be other methods we can explore.
I've tried that also. It doesn't work.
List me software tools that can delete those files by force

Reactions: Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I've tried that also. It doesn't work.
List me software tools that can delete those files by force
There are several software tools that you can try for deleting undeletable files. Some popular ones include:

1. Unlocker - A tool that helps delete locked files or folders any that the user does not have permission to delete.

2. FileASSASSIN - This tool deletes any file that is not being used by any application or system process.

3. IObit Unlocker - A tool that deletes any file that is being accessed, locked or read-only by an application or system.

4. CCleaner - This is a popular system cleaning utility program that can clean up your system, including deleting stubborn files.

Note that when using these tools, you should always exercise caution, make backups, and follow the instructions carefully to avoid data loss or other unintended consequences.

Reactions: Jack and harlan4096

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
What part of this program can delete stubborn files?
In CCleaner, the "Tools" section has a feature called "File Finder" which can locate and delete specific files. Additionally, CCleaner's "Drive Wiper" feature can permanently erase files or folders from your hard drive, making them impossible to recover. Both of these tools can help with deleting stubborn files. However, it's important to note that CCleaner is primarily a system optimization and cleaning tool, and while it can help with deleting files, it may not be the best option for more complex situations.

Reactions: Jack

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
In CCleaner, the "Tools" section has a feature called "File Finder" which can locate and delete specific files. Additionally, CCleaner's "Drive Wiper" feature can permanently erase files or folders from your hard drive, making them impossible to recover. Both of these tools can help with deleting stubborn files. However, it's important to note that CCleaner is primarily a system optimization and cleaning tool, and while it can help with deleting files, it may not be the best option for more complex situations.
What is the difference between deleting a undeletable file and shredding the same file?

Reactions: harlan4096

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
What is the difference between deleting a undeletable file and shredding the same file?
Deleting an undeletable file refers to the process of removing the file from your computer's file system. However, the file may still exist on your hard drive and can be potentially recovered using data recovery tools.

On the other hand, shredding a file refers to the process of completely erasing the file from your computer's hard drive. This process overwrites the file with random data several times, making it virtually impossible to recover the original file. Shredding is a more secure way to permanently delete files that contain sensitive information.

It's important to note that shredding a file is irreversible and permanently deletes the file from your computer. Therefore, you should exercise caution and make sure you are shredding the right file before proceeding with this method.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Deleting an undeletable file refers to the process of removing the file from your computer's file system. However, the file may still exist on your hard drive and can be potentially recovered using data recovery tools.

On the other hand, shredding a file refers to the process of completely erasing the file from your computer's hard drive. This process overwrites the file with random data several times, making it virtually impossible to recover the original file. Shredding is a more secure way to permanently delete files that contain sensitive information.

It's important to note that shredding a file is irreversible and permanently deletes the file from your computer. Therefore, you should exercise caution and make sure you are shredding the right file before proceeding with this method.
So why are you recommending me software that shredd files when I asked you to list me software tools that can delete a file that is locked for some reason?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
So why are you recommending me software that shredd files when I asked you to list me software tools that can delete a file that is locked for some reason?
I apologize for the confusion earlier. Some of the software tools I recommended earlier may have the capability to delete stubborn or locked files. Specifically, Unlocker and FileASSASSIN are two programs that can force the deletion of files that are being used by an application or service. They do not necessarily shred files, but instead force the deletion of the file itself.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I apologize for the confusion earlier. Some of the software tools I recommended earlier may have the capability to delete stubborn or locked files. Specifically, Unlocker and FileASSASSIN are two programs that can force the deletion of files that are being used by an application or service. They do not necessarily shred files, but instead force the deletion of the file itself.
I tried both of the programs and both gave me errors. What can I do next?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I tried both of the programs and both gave me errors. What can I do next?
If Unlocker and FileASSASSIN did not work and you are still unable to delete the file using traditional means or command prompt, there are a few other options you can try:

1. Boot your system in Safe Mode: Turning your computer on in Safe Mode may allow you to delete the file. To boot in Safe Mode, restart your computer and press F8 repeatedly during the boot process. Select "Safe Mode" from the boot menu, then try to delete the file again.

2. Use a bootable USB drive: Create a bootable USB drive using a tool like Rufus, then boot your system from the drive. Once you've booted, use the file explorer on the USB drive to navigate to the locked file and try to delete it.

3. Try a different user account: Try logging in as a different user on your computer and see if you can delete the file using that account.

4. Use third-party tools: There are many third-party tools available that can help you delete locked or undeletable files. Some popular ones include Tails OS, KillBox, and File Governor. These should only be used if other methods have failed, as they can potentially cause data loss or other issues.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If Unlocker and FileASSASSIN did not work and you are still unable to delete the file using traditional means or command prompt, there are a few other options you can try:

1. Boot your system in Safe Mode: Turning your computer on in Safe Mode may allow you to delete the file. To boot in Safe Mode, restart your computer and press F8 repeatedly during the boot process. Select "Safe Mode" from the boot menu, then try to delete the file again.

2. Use a bootable USB drive: Create a bootable USB drive using a tool like Rufus, then boot your system from the drive. Once you've booted, use the file explorer on the USB drive to navigate to the locked file and try to delete it.

3. Try a different user account: Try logging in as a different user on your computer and see if you can delete the file using that account.

4. Use third-party tools: There are many third-party tools available that can help you delete locked or undeletable files. Some popular ones include Tails OS, KillBox, and File Governor. These should only be used if other methods have failed, as they can potentially cause data loss or other issues.
I've tried booting in Hiren's boot CD and Linux Mint in order to delete a file. Both are giving me the same error " You don't have a permission to modify this file".
What seems to be the culprit?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I've tried booting in Hiren's boot CD and Linux Mint in order to delete a file. Both are giving me the same error " You don't have a permission to modify this file".
What seems to be the culprit?
If you are still receiving the same error after trying to delete the file in different boot environments and with different user accounts, it's possible that the file or its parent folder may have attributes or permissions that are preventing it from being deleted. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Take ownership of the file: You can try to take ownership of the file or folder, which will grant you greater permissions and control over it. To do this, right-click the file or folder and select "Properties." Then, go to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced." In the "Advanced Security Settings" window, click the "Change" link next to the owner's name, then select your user account and click "OK." Check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," then click "OK."

2. Remove file attributes: If the file or folder has certain attributes, like "Read-only," this can prevent you from deleting it. To remove these attributes, right-click the file or folder and select "Properties." Then, go to the "Attributes" section and uncheck any boxes that are selected.

3. Use a file unlocker: Some third-party file unlockers, like IObit Unlocker, can help you overcome file permissions issues and delete the file. These programs may also be able to unlock any processes that are currently using the file.

4. Use a command line: Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges and use the "del" command to delete the file. You can also try using the "takeown" command to take ownership of the file and then delete it.

Please note that modifying file permissions or attributes can have unintended consequences, so you should always make a backup of the file and exercise caution when making changes.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If you are still receiving the same error after trying to delete the file in different boot environments and with different user accounts, it's possible that the file or its parent folder may have attributes or permissions that are preventing it from being deleted. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Take ownership of the file: You can try to take ownership of the file or folder, which will grant you greater permissions and control over it. To do this, right-click the file or folder and select "Properties." Then, go to the "Security" tab and click "Advanced." In the "Advanced Security Settings" window, click the "Change" link next to the owner's name, then select your user account and click "OK." Check the box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects," then click "OK."

2. Remove file attributes: If the file or folder has certain attributes, like "Read-only," this can prevent you from deleting it. To remove these attributes, right-click the file or folder and select "Properties." Then, go to the "Attributes" section and uncheck any boxes that are selected.

3. Use a file unlocker: Some third-party file unlockers, like IObit Unlocker, can help you overcome file permissions issues and delete the file. These programs may also be able to unlock any processes that are currently using the file.

4. Use a command line: Open a command prompt window with administrator privileges and use the "del" command to delete the file. You can also try using the "takeown" command to take ownership of the file and then delete it.

Please note that modifying file permissions or attributes can have unintended consequences, so you should always make a backup of the file and exercise caution when making changes.
Advanced security settings for this file is grayed out.
Takeown command is giving me the error also

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Advanced security settings for this file is grayed out.
Takeown command is giving me the error also
If the Advanced Security Settings are grayed out, it may indicate that you do not have sufficient permissions to change the ownership of that file or folder. In that case, you should try the following solutions:

1. Use Command Prompt: Open a Command Prompt window with Administrator privileges, then run the following command: `icacls "path to the file or folder" /grant administrators:F`. This command grants full control permission to the Administrators group, which should give you the necessary permission to proceed with deleting the file.

2. Use a third-party utility: There are several third-party utilities available which can help you deal with file permission and ownership issues. Some of these utilities include Unlocker, IObit Unlocker, and Advanced File Security Basic.

3. Boot in Safe Mode: Try booting your computer in Safe Mode, then see if you can access the properties of the file or folder and change the ownership. To boot in Safe Mode, restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly during the boot process until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode from the menu, then log in with an account that has Administrator privileges.

4. Use a Linux Live CD: Boot your computer using a Linux Live CD, such as Ubuntu or Mint. Once you're logged in, you can use the file manager to navigate to the file or folder in question, then delete it.

Please note that modifying file permissions or ownership can have unintended consequences, so you should always make a backup of the file or folder and exercise caution when making changes.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If the Advanced Security Settings are grayed out, it may indicate that you do not have sufficient permissions to change the ownership of that file or folder. In that case, you should try the following solutions:
I checked all the other files in the folder where this file is located, and all other files can be modified but this file cannot. Also the folder where this file belongs is called 3210 and when I try to delete the whole folder the error appears and says "Cannot Delete Folder: The Directory Is Not Empty”
What should I do?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I checked all the other files in the folder where this file is located, and all other files can be modified but this file cannot. Also the folder where this file belongs is called 3210 and when I try to delete the whole folder the error appears and says "Cannot Delete Folder: The Directory Is Not Empty”
What should I do?
If you cannot delete the folder because "The directory is not empty", it's likely that the folder contains other files or subfolders that are still active on your system. Here are some solutions you can try to delete the folder:

1. Check for hidden files: Sometimes, hidden files or folders can prevent you from deleting a folder. Go to the folder options and enable the option to view hidden files, then check to see if there are any hidden files present in the folder.

2. Use Command Prompt: Open a Command Prompt window with Administrator privileges, then navigate to the folder you want to delete using `cd`. Then, run the command `rmdir /s /q foldername`. This command forcibly deletes the folder and all the files and subfolders within.

3. Use a third-party tool: There are many third-party file managers available that may be able to delete the folder. Some popular ones include Total Commander, XYplorer, and Free Commander.

4. Boot in Safe Mode: Try booting your computer in Safe Mode, then see if you can delete the folder. To boot in Safe Mode, restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly during the boot process until you see the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode from the menu, then log in with an account that has Administrator privileges.

Please note that removing files or folders without proper care can cause data loss, so always backup your data before attempting any deletion or modification of files.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Check for hidden files: Sometimes, hidden files or folders can prevent you from deleting a folder. Go to the folder options and enable the option to view hidden files, then check to see if there are any hidden files present in the folder.
checked, there are no such
Use Command Prompt: Open a Command Prompt window with Administrator privileges, then navigate to the folder you want to delete using `cd`. Then, run the command `rmdir /s /q foldername`. This command forcibly deletes the folder and all the files and subfolders within.
tried this, doesn't work
Use a third-party tool: There are many third-party file managers available that may be able to delete the folder. Some popular ones include Total Commander, XYplorer, and Free Commander.
Do these tools use special handlers for deleting folders appart for a system one that Windows Explorer uses?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
checked, there are no such
Yes, third-party file managers like Total Commander, XYplorer, and Free Commander use their own methods and handlers for deleting folders that go beyond the capabilities of the native Windows Explorer. These tools may be able to bypass any file permissions or locked file issues and delete the folder or files within.

If you're still having issues deleting the folder or file, it may be useful to provide more details about your specific situation or try other solutions, such as booting in safe mode or using a Linux Live CD. Also if you suspect that the folder or the file within it is infected or contains malware, you may want to scan your system with a trusted antivirus program before attempting any deletions.

tried this, doesn't work
If the command prompt is unable to delete the folder, you can try using the `robocopy` command to delete the folder. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Open the Command Prompt with Administrator privileges.

2. Navigate to the parent folder of the folder you want to delete. For example, if the folder you want to delete is located in `C:\Users\Username\Folder`, you would use the following command: `cd C:\Users\Username`

3. Type the following command to delete the folder and all its contents: `robocopy FolderName C:\EmptyDirectory /MIR`

Note that this command is case sensitive, so be sure to replace `FolderName` with the name of the folder you want to delete.

4. Press Enter and the `robocopy` command will delete the folder and all its contents.

If the `robocopy` command still does not work, you can try booting into Safe Mode and running the command there. Alternatively, you can try using a third-party file manager or uninstalling any software that may be using files in the folder.

Do these tools use special handlers for deleting folders appart for a system one that Windows Explorer uses?
Yes, third-party file managers like Total Commander, XYplorer, and Free Commander use their own methods and handlers for deleting folders that go beyond the capabilities of the native Windows Explorer. These tools may be able to bypass any file permissions or locked file issues and delete the folder or files within.

If you're still having issues deleting the folder or file, it may be useful to provide more details about your specific situation or try other solutions, such as booting in safe mode or using a Linux Live CD. Also if you suspect that the folder or the file within it is infected or contains malware, you may want to scan your system with a trusted antivirus program before attempting any deletions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.