Underwater Data Centre to Boost Energy Efficiency

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft has sunk a data centre in the sea off Orkney to investigate whether it can boost energy efficiency.

The data centre, a white cylinder containing computers, could sit on the sea floor for up to five years.
An undersea cable brings the data centre power and takes its data to the shore and the wider internet - but if the computers onboard break, they cannot be repaired. Orkney was chosen because it is a major centre for renewable energy research. The theory is that the cost of cooling the computers will be cut by placing them underwater.
_101886535_rory5.jpg

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I hope they won't overdo it in the future. If the water then heats up by a few degrees, it will have a major impact on the fish' habitat and the Earth's climate. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.