New Update Ungoogled Chromium

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have been downloading Ungoogled-Chromium from the Woolyss.com website.

Here on MT the Git-hub website is always referenced. Is there a difference?

My current version from Woolyss is 119.0.6045.124 compiled by Hibbiki.

Clarification is appreciated. Thanks.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have been downloading Ungoogled-Chromium from the Woolyss.com website.

Here on MT the Git-hub website is always referenced. Is there a difference?

My current version from Woolyss is 119.0.6045.124 compiled by Hibbiki.

Clarification is appreciated. Thanks.

Read post #206 comparison between Eloston (Github) vs Woolyss versions

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for the reference.

Taken from the UG Wikki: ungoogled-chromium - Wikipedia

History[edit]

"The ungoogled-chromium project was founded by a hobbyist with the user name Eloston in 2015. It was first developed for Linux, then for other operating systems.[10][11] Eloston used to release builds, but eventually he stopped doing so and allowed others to provide builds with his patches.[12]

Starting in 2019, Eloston greatly reduced his involvement in the project, and other hobbyists have continued to maintain the patches.[1] In 2022, the GitHub repository was transferred from Eloston's personal account to a new "ungoogled-software" account.[13]."

If I read this correctly, Eloston is not heavily involved with UGC as he was in the past, so others are doing it. There is no pure Eloston version of UGC anymore . That's why I am a bit confused at continued references to Eloston when there are these other developers like Marmaduke, Hibbiki, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, initially it was him alone involved. However, a one-man job is just too tough for the various platforms involvement. For the interest to keep the UG development ongoing it's best to open to more people involvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Yes, initially it was him alone involved. However, a one-man job is just too tough for the various platforms involvement. For the interest to keep the UG development ongoing it's best to open to more people involvement.
Perfectly understand. Kudos to him for developing a good browser. So is Git-hub your personal choice meaning you feel they develop a better safer UGC than Woolyss or at this point it no longer makes a difference? I value, and appreciate your opinion.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Perfectly understand. Kudos to him for developing a good browser. So is Git-hub your personal choice meaning you feel they develop a better safer UGC than Woolyss or at this point it no longer makes a difference? I value, and appreciate your opinion.

If you want a better 'ungoogled' chromium browser then choose the Eloston version. It don't have Safe Browsing and widevine both of which belong to Google

Reactions: SearchLight

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.