HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is using it and Iridium now.

Ungoogled Chromium is actually a Chromium spin-off that offers you all of Chromium's capabilities but removes integration with Google services, thus providing you with a browser that is highly transparent in terms of privacy and control.

Even if you don't plan on associating a Google account with your Chromium browser, the browser still shelters a number of background services or features that communicate with Google servers. This program plans on reducing the amount of communications between Google and your browser, thus protecting your privacy and reducing data usage.

Additional features

Aside from cutting the hidden data exchange between your computer and Google servers, this application also substitutes various web domains in the source code, strips binaries from the source code, forces pop-ups into tabs, disables automatic URL formatting and disables WebRTC.

Furthermore, it disables Google-domain-related functionality such as Google Host Detector, Google Cloud Messaging, Google Hotwording or Google URL tracker.

For more details of Ungoogled Chromium you can refer here

GitHub - Eloston/ungoogled-chromium: Modifications to Google Chromium for removing Google integration and enhancing privacy, control, and transparency

A) Speed Test – Ungoogled Chromium vs Chrome(The Speed King)

I have 14 nos. of same extensions for Chrome and Ungoogled Chromium on the same tablet and all are working very well. With the same speed flag settings opening of web sites is faster for Ungoogled Chromium (using searX search engine) over Chrome (default search engine).

B) Ungoogled Chromium vs Iridium

1) Iridium – Like Chromium, it phones home to Google on start up

Ungoogle Chromium – Connects to Amazon(Germany) on start up

2) Iridium - Allows installation of extensions from chrome web store directly. It’s possible that such extensions collect data and phone home to Google.

Ungoogled Chromium – A bit troublesome as user needs to download the crx files using the ID of the extension and drag and drop to install them. No connection to Google here. Extensions are not automatically downloaded. User will need to check the extensions for updates.

3) Iridium – Faster to update. Now at v58.x vs stable Chromium at v59.x

Ungoogled Chromium – Very slow to update due to one man show. Now at stable v55.x. Can pose a security issue here. However, if lucky, we may see the release of v58.x

Releases · Eloston/ungoogled-chromium · GitHub

4) Iridium – Uses its own codes

Ungoogled Chromium – Borrows features from Debian, Inox patchset and Iridium browser

5) Iridium – Differences between Iridium and Chromium, here

Differences between Iridium and Chromium · iridium-browser/tracker Wiki · GitHub

Ungoogled Chromium – Features here

GitHub - Eloston/ungoogled-chromium: Modifications to Google Chromium for removing Google integration and enhancing privacy, control, and transparency

C) Summary - Ungoogled Chromium vs Iridium

Both use open source Chromium, fast and are very privacy-oriented browsers. And both require manual update for new versions. On the GUI both are almost the same as stable Chromium. Like Chromium you can also access their flags to make changes. It’s only under-the-hood that major changes in privacy settings take place.

IMO, for the privacy-conscious, Ungoogled Chromium is the choice as it and its extensions do NOT connect to Google.

It would be good if Ungoogled Chromium has its own web store, like Epic Privacy Browser, whereby some better extensions can be made available. It would be best if Ungoogled Chromium can update on par with stable Chromium release to avoid security issues in the browser, if any.

D) Alternatives to Ungoogled Chromium

The others are

1) Epic Privacy Browser

- On start up it connects to Digital Ocean(ISP) in Netherlands
- Do NOT allow the addition of extensions. Uses only those found in its web store
- Has its own web store with a handful of non-tracker/blocker extensions
- Uses encrypted proxy which is faster than not using it. However, it leaks your IP address
- It’s fast and can access the chrome flags but no Appcontainer flag
- Support plugins which can be disabled
- Cannot change search engine. Searches of built-in search engine are not so relevant
- Very minimal user settings
- It’s one(1) version behind stable Chromium release. Security of browser, if any, can be an issue
- Auto updates on its own
- An Indian company

2) Brave Browser

- Connects to Amazon on start up
- Do NOT allow addition of extensions
- Do NOT have its own web store
- Do NOT allow access to the chrome flags
- Can change search engine
- Its update is on par with the latest stable Chromium version
- Has an update feature
- Still in developmental stage. No stable release. Not suitable for touchscreen users

For the alternatives, it’s strongly advisable to use Adguard for Desktop and run the browsers sandboxed.

Last edited:

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Ungoogled Chromium doesn't get updated very often, which is probably a massive security risk; I wouldn't suggest anyone use it as a primary browser.
EDIT: Just realised you addressed this in the post, didn't see that at first. :oops:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
ok which one brave? or epic? I want to have a good partner for Yandex
Read OP and decide yourself.

These 2 browsers have a common weakness. They come with built-in malware filters/anti-fingerprint features which are good but don't allow the user to install extensions. I believe if users were to install additional extensions they'll perform much better than the built-in ones

And if you need extra protection you'll need Adguard for Desktop, run them in a sandbox and have Secure DNS (those with web content and malware filters)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Thnx for your review.
Yes, if I run it In the sandbox I don't need malware web filtering anymore.
that brave will block trackers and ads which i the only important for me.i have ADGUAR for windows, but I'm thinking to remove it that's why I want to use brave... idk how effective their ad blocker is. should test it on some website
but because it's new maybe have some bugs? I hate buggy Softwares I mean GUI bug or smth like that.

Reactions: Nevi

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I am not really in to this (so forgive me when I am wrong), but does not Woolyss nosync offers ungoogled Chromium without the update delays?
You read this and then compare to nosync Chromium

Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

I believe the differences lie below the hood

One thing I know for Ungoogled Chromium is you cannot download extensions directly from Chrome Play Store. Thus, they'll not be updated through Chrome Play Store cutting out Google connections. You'll need to download and update the extensions externally and manually.

Reactions: Weebarra

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
OK, found a way to install extensions (or rather the crx files) from Chrome Web Store DIRECTLY!!

First, download extension 'Ungoogled Chromium Extension Installer' from here and install it

UnnoTed/Ungoogled-Chromium-Extension-Installer

Then go to chrome://flags/#extension-mime-request-handling to change from "Default" to "Install always" to make it prompt the user to install. "Default" will cause you to download the extension's crx file instead.

Now, visit the extension in Chrome Web Store and open up the extension. Right click and install the extension

The procedure extracts the crx file of the extension and automates its installation. There's no connection to Google here.

:love:

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Well imo performance > privacy. Google chrome is just superior compared to others in speed you need/ stable security updates/sync over devices etc. etc.

If you really care that much about google, theres much better alternatives like edge/ firefox where you can get rid of it

Its bigger privacy issue to use outdated browser as main

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
You read this and then compare to nosync Chromium

Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

I believe the differences lie below the hood

One thing I know for Ungoogled Chromium is you cannot download extensions directly from Chrome Play Store. Thus, they'll not be updated through Chrome Play Store cutting out Google connections. You'll need to download and update the extensions externally and manually.

Yep, I read the info, but it is generic. The switches provide some information.

It seems that you have to compile/assemble it yourself, I m looking wrong? Do you know where executable version is ready fro download?

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.