Security News Unstoppable JavaScript Attack Helps Ad Fraud, Tech Support Scams, 0-Day Attacks

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Argentinian security expert Manuel Caballero has published new research that shows how a website owner could show a constant stream of popups, even after the user has left his site, or even worse, execute his very own persistent JavaScript code while the user is on other domains.

There are multiple issues and attack scenarios that Caballero discovered, but fortunately, they only affect Internet Explorer 11, but not Edge, or browsers from other vendors.

The bad news is that, according to NetMarketShare, IE11 is the second ranked browser version, with a market share of 10.46%, right behind Chrome 55, with 37.27%, meaning it still accounts for a large portion of the online userbase, despite its advanced age.

The undying IE popups
In a blog post published yesterday, the Caballero demonstrated how a developer could create popups that persist in the browser, even after the user has left the page where the popup's code was loaded, either by clicking a link or entering a new URL in the browser's address bar.

According to the veteran security researcher, there's no limit on how many popups a malicious website owner could show users after they left his site.

The only way users can stop the popups is to close the tab and open a new one. Navigating away from the malicious page in a new tab also prevents the popups from showing up.

Never-ending popups could be used in tech support scams

More in the link above

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is "one" example of why I choose to run AdGuard.
As things progress IE won't be the only target of behavior
like this, to me it seems IE is just the testing grounds.
All you adblock haters have a rough future ahead of you
imho. ;)
Cool share Solar

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
This is "one" example of why I choose to run AdGuard.
As things progress IE won't be the only target of behavior
like this, to me it seems IE is just the testing grounds.
All you adblock haters have a rough future ahead of you
imho. ;)
Cool share Solar
I'd like to think that as malvertising continues to gain traction that more and more people will adopt adblocking. Less as a "ads are so annoying" thing and more as a security supplement. I'm not sure where that leave the internet at large though, being funded mostly by ads and such.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I also use Adguard which helps mitigate some of this. I also uncheck Enable Automatic Crash Recovery - so that IE doesn't re-open after it crashes, re-exposing you to a potentially malicious site that crashed it in the first place, in addition to using Enhanced Protected Mode.

Although it may not help in this particular JS exploitation - make sure your Pop-up blockers are enabled.

Avoid IE when possible to lower your risk of exposure to malware. It is one of the more targeted browsers.That's IMHO.

The above options can be found in Internet Options > Advanced. I also disable Flash and any unneeded add-ons manually myself.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.