Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammo

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Has anyone tested UnThreat AntiVirus? I was wondering how effective it is before uninstalling my current AV and testing it myself.

SophieWhatever

Dec 27, 2011
I have and its not bad for a free antivirus
light on my system no errors , and no false positive's
so far so good, using it full time on my laptop

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm using it on one of my backup systems (WinXP 32-bit) and it is doing pretty well. Very light, no false positives and did very good on a few sample tests. UnThreat AntiVirus is still new and improving, so there are better options at this time but so far it looks like it is doing a good job.

One thing that I don't like is the popup ad notifications from the taskbar about the paid version, there is no way to disable it. It appears random at the most inconvenient times and you have to wait for it to disappear (no click to close).

It is nice to have a free version of the VIPRE engine.
Of coarse I still wouldn't trust it to protect my main system.

Thanks.:D

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
I'm using it on one of my backup systems (WinXP 32-bit) and it is doing pretty well. Very light, no false positives and did very good on a few sample tests. UnThreat AntiVirus is still new and improving, so there are better options at this time but so far it looks like it is doing a good job.

One thing that I don't like is the popup ad notifications from the taskbar about the paid version, there is no way to disable it. It appears random at the most inconvenient times and you have to wait for it to disappear (no click to close).

Why not?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Roti said:
Littlebits said:

Why not?

Sorry I thought my previous post was self explanatory.
Because UnThreat AntiVirus is still new and improving and there are better options at this time which offer more and better features for free.

SophieWhatever

Dec 27, 2011
Littlebits Wrote
Because UnThreat AntiVirus is still new and improving and there are better options at this time which offer more and better features for free.
+ 1 on that

Its a nice anti virus but I would not recommend for new inexperienced users,
and would not recommend it to totally protect the system with out a lot of back form anti malware scanners,
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware hitman pro SAS etc even use sandboxie

Its still new and improving and to run UnThreat on a system by its self i would not advise .

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
Roti said:
Littlebits said:

Why not?

Such as?
Based on your perspective what is the best alternative for Unthreat Free Antivirus?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Roti said:
Littlebits said:
Roti said:
Littlebits said:

Why not?

Such as?
Based on your perspective what is the best alternative for Unthreat Free Antivirus?

The best alternative depends on user preferences and habits.
Avira Free, Avast Free, FortiClient Lite, AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc. to name the most common known to be trusted.

Sammo

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
I installed UnThreat last night and its running just fine along with my Online Armor. I have a few months left on a 1 year Vipre 5 license on another machine and they both seem to work alike.

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
The best alternative depends on user preferences and habits.
Avira Free, Avast Free, FortiClient Lite, AVG Free, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc. to name the most common known to be trusted.

Yeah I agree with you, all those companies you've listed are reputable, trusted and real. But you may want to add Comodo on the list. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good thing is the product improved with the help of Vipre Engine however there is a room for improvements and needs to a well grown reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.