Update Checker in Security Configuration Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Hi guys,

I just completed a post in the Security Configuration Wizard section, and have a suggestion.

My understanding is that updates are one of the more important areas of (Internet) security. My experience is that whenever I've helped friends fix their machines, they have loads of out of date software, and no Updates Monitor to be seen.

Because of this can't we include a section for Updates Monitor. I only know of File Hippo and Secunia, I'm sure there are others.

This would emphasize their importance, IMO.

Chig.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
SUMo Software Update Monitor
Webroot® System Analyzer
Secunia PSI
Filehippo Update Checker

These 4 nifty programs are proven to be pretty darn good, where Secunia and SUMo have a little edge over the rest.
I am sure there are other programs out there but i have not seen or worked with them.
So i can only vouch for the 4 listed ones.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have used: SUMo (Software Update Monitor), Secunia PSI and Filehippo Update Checker. All three are good products, and if I have to chose I would go with SUMo, but all the other programs are also good.

Not a lot of programs are target by exploits, nevertheless it's good to have the latest available build. If should pay particular attention to the software from Oracle (Java) and Adobe (Reader, Flash etc) as these are the most targeted programs.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Those update checkers that are known suggested are capable to update not just applications but Windows Updates too since they are both integrated.

When browsing, its a good choice to add a RSS feeds from websites that posted the latest version as possible so aware on having up to date basis.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Cheers for the suggestion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.