Hot Take [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comparison between browser extensions

Test 29/12
Q&A - [Updated 29/12/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 24/11
Q&A - [Updated 24/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 12/11
Q&A - [Updated 12/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 7/11
Q&A - [Updated 7/11/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 6/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 3/9
Q&A - [Updated 3/9/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test 2/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Test, quick 1/9
Q&A - [Updated 25/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Fun test 25/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 24/7/2018 (most comprehensive, as possible)
Q&A - [Updated 24/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 19/7/2018
Q&A - [Updated 10/7/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 18/7/2018

Updated 10/7/2018

Updated 7/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 7/6/2018] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 3/6/2018
Q&A - [Updated 3/6/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Updated 25/4/2018
Poll - [Updated 25/4/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Update: 23/3/2018
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

Browser: Google Chrome 65 x64
Malware and phishing links: 10 malc0de, 10 vxvault, 10 openphish, 10 verified phishtank, 10 unverified phishtank
Total: 50 links
Extensions: recently downloaded from Chrome Web Store
- Google Safe Browsing (built-in chrome's protection)
- AdGuard AdBlocker: default settings, uses Google Safe Browsing (delayed) and their own database
- Avira browser safety: default settings
- Norton Safe Web: default settings
- Bitdefender Trafficlight: default settings, it rarely blocks any malware links, just old ones
- Avast Online Security: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- Netcraft Extension: default settings, only has phishing protection, expected to score 0 against malwares
- uBlock Origin with some additional filters

NOTE: the result can vary from day-to-day. Tomorrow with different links, the result can be very different. All are live links but they can be dead a few minutes after the test. No duplication

Results:
result.png

Winner: Google Safe Browsing

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I personally have a pretty similar setup as @Back3
I don't see a reason to really use an extension just for blocking malicious sites as NextDNS + uBlock Origin's (Maware domains blocklists) + Browser's integrated Google Safe Browsing and maybe even your AV that uses HTTPS-Scanning are definitely enough protection and don't require you to install another extension that has access to your browsing data and that might even increase attack-surface.

@goodjohnjr how about you create a Security Config thread so that people can give some more recommendations?

You can create it here:
This is true and av dependant, so posting his config is much appreciated, nowadays ublock origin + happy clicker joe its hard to get infected than it used to be

Phishing is the only problem people could fall on, and i guess netcraft atleast is on next level compared to some of the antiviruses

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
This is true and av dependant, so posting his config is much appreciated, nowadays ublock origin + happy clicker joe its hard to get infected than it used to be

Phishing is the only problem people could fall on, and i guess netcraft atleast is on next level compared to some of the antiviruses
True, the blocking of phishing sites is also not really the strenght of NextDNS. The blocking of Newly Registered Domains within NextDNS is quite effective against phishing tho and should definitely be enabled. I barely ever needed an extension like Netcraft and therefore never used it, but as it has set it's focus mainly on phishing it might be worth considering. (y)

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I personally have a pretty similar setup as @Back3
I don't see a reason to really use an extension just for blocking malicious sites as NextDNS + uBlock Origin's (Maware domains blocklists) + Browser's integrated Google Safe Browsing and maybe even your AV that uses HTTPS-Scanning are definitely enough protection and don't require you to install another extension that has access to your browsing data and that might even increase attack-surface.

@goodjohnjr how about you create a Security Config thread so that people can give some more recommendations?

You can create it here:
Thank you, SecureKongo, I might try that one day.

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
My opinion is I read what everyone else here is saying and implement it LOL. Being on a Mac I think NextDNS and Google safebrowsing built-in to my Firefox is sufficient. I'm not an admin and I have a HTTPS only set up. I have yet to run into a malicious domain accidentally that is blocked so I think my security model is sufficient. I just rely on brain.exe primarily. It would be a very different story on Windows. I would probably use Kaspersky which from my experience has the best and fastest updated lists.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Nice, thank you for answering that, I have never used NextDNS; I am currently using Adguard DNS.

In the past I have used OpenDNS, Norton DNS, Cleanbrowsing DNS, and several others.
You're good with Adguard DNS.
What I like about NextDNS: it has lots of security and privacy features, it's very easy to tweak, a good user interface in many languages, apps for IOS with sliders On\off, and it's mostly free. On my PC, I just use it in my browsers. Nothing to install.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
You're good with Adguard DNS.
What I like about NextDNS: it has lots of security and privacy features, it's very easy to tweak, a good user interface in many languages, apps for IOS with sliders On\off, and it's mostly free. On my PC, I just use it in my browsers. Nothing to install.
You don't really need the app on iOS either: NextDNS - Apple Configuration Profile

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
You don't really need the app on iOS either: NextDNS - Apple Configuration Profile
How about my mobile modem wich changes the ip after reset? I just installed windows application of nextdns and did setup it correctly, now im just waiting to see how it works

Edit 1: okay i changed the ip by reseting router, and it works smooth. Now im just about to head reading about free user limits / Maybe setting it up on mobile, i have adguard on mobiel though

Reactions: oldschool and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
How about my mobile modem wich changes the ip after reset? I just installed windows application of nextdns and did setup it correctly, now im just waiting to see how it works

Edit 1: okay i changed the ip by reseting router, and it works smooth. Now im just about to head reading about free user limits / Maybe setting it up on mobile, i have adguard on mobiel though
Well as soon as you are disconnected to your mobile modem and are connected to another network you won't have NextDNS's filtering anymore. Why not setting it up in the mobile device itself as mentioned above?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I got both working, seems 300k requests is monthly for free, thanks
I personally use the Pro version but 300k requests are definitely enough for one mobile device or maybe also enough to use in a desktop browser too. I have it only configured on my Firefox and on my mobile device. In the end I only need the filtering in my browser anyway.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I personally use the Pro version but 300k requests are definitely enough for one mobile device or maybe also enough to use in a desktop browser too. I have it only configured on my Firefox and on my mobile device. In the end I only need the filtering in my browser anyway.
Well 19 $ / year is less than antivirus, so i dont see thats bad price for such good browser protection, for mobile its def enough and i might install it on kids devices aswell

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Emsisoft browser security is updated to Version 2022.3.0.35
On march 16. 2022
No changelog

Emsisoft Browser Security uses privacy-conscious security technology, so it does not collect your browsing activity data. Your browsing history is your business. Keeping you safe online is ours.

No browsing activity tracking. Just security.

Edit 2: their site blocking message has changed

emsi123.png

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Emsisoft browser security is updated to Version 2022.3.0.35
On march 16. 2022
No changelog

Emsisoft Browser Security uses privacy-conscious security technology, so it does not collect your browsing activity data. Your browsing history is your business. Keeping you safe online is ours.

No browsing activity tracking. Just security.

Edit 2: their site blocking message has changed

View attachment 265212
I was get the new screen when testing phishing sites earlier this week. It is an nice UI improvement. Test results are also better than with previoustests. I don't know if that a coincidence or that their protection has been improved. I really like the extension (y). Small in footprint, privacy friendly and a good protection.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hey guys, what are the main key differences when choosing these types of extensions?

For me personally the following points below:
  • Detection for malicious URLs (what delivering malware) or phishing.
  • Users Privacy like how much user data sent to extension developer.
  • Extensions performance on your browser or CPU usage of your PC.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Evjl's Rain Can you find the time to do an up to date test?
I just did a quick test of Emsisoft.

OpenPhish - 10/11 the miss was a dead link
PhishTank - 6/10

I consider the PhishTank the harder test as it always has more fresh links. Emsi hits the mark for me on all 3 of @silversurfer 's criteria, and it stays true to my foundational principle: "Stay safe, not paranoid". :cool:

I realize that most folks like the side-by-side tests that some MT members do.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I just did a quick test of Emsisoft.

OpenPhish - 10/11 the miss was a dead link
PhishTank - 6/10

I consider the PhishTank the harder test as it always has more fresh links. Emsi hits the mark for me on all 3 of @silversurfer 's criteria, and it stays true to my foundational principle: "Stay safe, not paranoid". :cool:

I realize that most folks like the side-by-side tests that some MT members do.
As DNS-server you use Quad9. Did this blocking something?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.