Updated AMD Roadmap

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
2017-10-02_020244.png

While Ryzen is good, i think for anyone not in a hurry, waiting for Pinnacle Ridge or Matisse is the wiser choice. With Intel's Coffee Lake launch imminent, AMD will probably cut prices and Pinnacle Ridge or Matisse, will probably iron out the wrinkles of Summit ridge and hopefully also provide more motherboards with better VRM and wider RAM compatibility.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Why wait? The Ryzen has already gone through 2 price drops and is a rockstar.

While I have 4 gaming rigs in the home - I just built a new Ryzen box with NVME (m.2) 3,900MB/s SSD for my personal gaming rig. It's a stunner. Since games don't offer any benefit over 4 cores, even the low end Ryzen is still a great performer. Previously I was using a FX8320, the Ryzen 7 1700 is a 100% improvement in performance for a mere $265 (what I paid). Add to that the insane NVME performance, and my machine is about 200% faster overall.

Ryzens are already cheap, and insane. No waiting for me.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am curious how Raven Ridge APUs will perform as Zen cores are pretty efficient but Vega not so much. At least Intel will have some competition in laptop area and 4 cores 8 threads will become the norm instead of current 2 cores 4 threads.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Why wait? The Ryzen has already gone through 2 price drops and is a rockstar.

While I have 4 gaming rigs in the home - I just built a new Ryzen box with NVME (m.2) 3,900MB/s SSD for my personal gaming rig. It's a stunner. Since games don't offer any benefit over 4 cores, even the low end Ryzen is still a great performer. Previously I was using a FX8320, the Ryzen 7 1700 is a 100% improvement in performance for a mere $265 (what I paid). Add to that the insane NVME performance, and my machine is about 200% faster overall.

Ryzens are already cheap, and insane. No waiting for me.

My 2 cents. In AMD, historically, 1st gen platforms are clearly inferior to 2nd gen. For games, Coffee Lake makes more sense. AMD's platform is still buggy, memory compatibility is a mess, in 2018 new motherboards with new chipset will come out, along with new Ryzen. Now, the rest, depends on what you need and how often you like to upgrade. I am not a gamer, but i have more than enough horsepower with my 3 FX chips and i will wait longer to get a more ironed out platform, preferably from AMD. Interesting charts towards the end:

Frankly, i find the B350 motherboards for Ryzen (what i would need) subpar in features and construction, even compared to AM3+ and in order to have the highest chances of memory working at 3200Mhz, you have to get the ultra-expensive C14 modules, while with Intel any RAM you buy just works. This is something else to factor in, while talking about total cost.

One thing i know. Since i don't update often and i don't resell my old stuff, had i bought into Ryzen 1 platform, by the next year, with probably much better motherboards and improve chips, for probably less than now and with better RAM compatibility (= cheaper overall platform), i would be unhappy. Just like Phenom I users were when Phenom II was out or Bulldozer when Vishera came out.

Just my humble opinion..

Reactions: brambedkar59
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

My 2 cents. In AMD, historically, 1st gen platforms are clearly inferior to 2nd gen. For games, Coffee Lake makes more sense. AMD's platform is still buggy, memory compatibility is a mess, in 2018 new motherboards with new chipset will come out, along with new Ryzen. Now, the rest, depends on what you need and how often you like to upgrade. I am not a gamer, but i have more than enough horsepower with my 3 FX chips and i will wait longer to get a more ironed out platform, preferably from AMD. Interesting charts towards the end:

Frankly, i find the B350 motherboards for Ryzen (what i would need) subpar in features and construction, even compared to AM3+ and in order to have the highest chances of memory working at 3200Mhz, you have to get the ultra-expensive C14 modules, while with Intel any RAM you buy just works. This is something else to factor in, while talking about total cost.

One thing i know. Since i don't update often and i don't resell my old stuff, had i bought into Ryzen 1 platform, by the next year, with probably much better motherboards and improve chips, for probably less than now and with better RAM compatibility (= cheaper overall platform), i would be unhappy. Just like Phenom I users were when Phenom II was out or Bulldozer when Vishera came out.

Just my humble opinion..

This is how it always is.. AMD's roadmap shows tremendous advances in their next big production changes. Nothing new there. I'm extremely happy with my Ryzen. It's an absolute powerhouse. Stable, fast, and extremely efficient. I've not seen any bugs or issues, it's a rockstar.

I don't buy Intel Chips for my gaming rigs because in gaming the processor is secondary in priority over the GPU, I put that coin into current gen GPUs. Certainly ANY of this generation processors are overkill for gaming. Even my FX8320 and FX8350 chips weren't stressed at all with any gaming but it was time for a healthy upgrade - and a 100% improvement was totally worth the $265. I'll be upgrading my other rigs to Ryzen's over the next few months.

But I get your point.. One can ALWAYS play the waiting game for new bells and whistles. Eventually one has to bite the bullet and grab something. I'm done with the FX series, great chips, but time for that 100% improvement. Before the FX series I ran the Phenom II's myself.. Great chipset that really lasted far longer than I expected. With a good GPU those things can still game quite well!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.