Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Someone brought me their computer this morning, because their English interface broke, due to a feature update that arrived yesterday, leaving them with only a Hebrew interface, which is much less intuitive for native English speakers.

So I checked the Windows version, and lo and behold, it updated to 1803 yesterday. That makes no sense to me because 1803 reached end of support half a year ago.
I clicked on "check for updates," and it started downloading a cumulative for 1803.
Anyone out there have insight into this?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
backup and clean install
I fixed the interface problem for him. The English language pack had a download button next to it, but due to the user's unfamiliarity with modern Hebrew, he thought it said something else. Just trying to understand why a computer would wait so long to update, and then pull 1803, which is no longer supported.

Upvote 0

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
I fixed the interface problem for him. The English language pack had a download button next to it, but due to the user's unfamiliarity with modern Hebrew, he thought it said something else. Just trying to understand why a computer would wait so long to update, and then pull 1803, which is no longer supported.
was the computer shut down for a long time nor the user blocked WU?

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
was the computer shut down for a long time nor the user blocked WU?
He doesn't block updates, but I think until recently he had his laptop running most of the time without internet connection, and he used his desktop for Internet stuff. Due to Coronavirus, he needed to Zoom, so he started to use internet more with this laptop.

Upvote 0

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
He doesn't block updates, but I think until recently he had his laptop running most of the time without internet connection, and he used his desktop for Internet stuff. Due to Coronavirus, he needed to Zoom, so he started to use internet more with this laptop.
please note Zoom have a lot of security issues . which may be compromised the system and infected it . i suggest as other member here to backup his/her important file on external drive. then make a complete fresh install of windows 10 build 1909.
also upgrading from very old build with about 3 cumulative updates "1809/1903/1909" may cause issues and complete failure with data lose with broken OS

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
please note Zoom have a lot of security issues . which may be compromised the system and infected it . i suggest as other member here to backup his/her important file on external drive. then make a complete fresh install of windows 10 build 1909.
also upgrading from very old build with about 3 cumulative updates "1809/1903/1909" may cause issues and complete failure with data lose with broken OS
This particular user is such a Windows hater, I told him in the end that people like him run Linux :)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.