Upgrade my gaming PC

Upgrade exist build or buy new one with the same price

• Upgrade to 7700K on my existing build 6600K

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Buy new AMD CPU Ryzen 2700X and mother board ( I will use my old RAM 2400MH)

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Hello, I would like to upgrade my PC because my 6600K is bottlenecking my GTX 1070 and most of my games like BFV is lagging so much it is not playable because my CPU usage most of the time 100% usage please help me in my choice and thank you in advance.

Reactions: [correlate]

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I would honestly go for Ryzen 3600, overclock a little bit if you have a good cooler and buy compatible motherboard, for 330$ which is the cost of 7700k.

It will give you ~10% more performance than 7700k, it will be more future proof, and at least give you an option to upgrade further.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
I would honestly go for Ryzen 3600, overclock a little bit if you have a good cooler and buy compatible motherboard, for 330$ which is the cost of 7700k.

It will give you ~10% more performance than 7700k, it will be more future proof, and at least give you an option to upgrade further.
I use liquid cooling for 6600K I will use the stock cooler for Ryzen processor because I don't have extra cash my friend says that Intel CPUs are better for gaming and long lasting especially that I would like to play red dead redemption 2 with high settings so, I need good processor for long run

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I use liquid cooling for 6600K I will use the stock cooler for Ryzen processor because I don't have extra cash my friend says that Intel CPUs are better for gaming and long lasting especially that I would like to play red dead redemption 2 with high settings so, I need good processor for long run
Then listen to your friend...

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Not savvy about AMD, but from what I understand, the Ryzen benefits from higher clocked RAM, like in the 3000-3200 MHZ or even greater range. So consider that if you're keeping your 2400 MHZ ram. Source

Just to tell you: your Z170 board is at the uppermost limit of compatibility with the 7700K. In theory, it should work, but you need to try it yourself and see if your board accepts it and boots with it. 8 threads for the 7700K versus only 4 threads for your i5, so the i7 would be clearly superior in gaming.

ahmed 12

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 19, 2016
Not savvy about AMD, but from what I understand, the Ryzen benefits from higher clocked RAM, like in the 3000-3200 MHZ or even greater range. So consider that if you're keeping your 2400 MHZ ram. Source

Just to tell you: your Z170 board is at the uppermost limit of compatibility with the 7700K. In theory, it should work, but you need to try it yourself and see if your board accepts it and boots with it. 8 threads for the 7700K versus only 4 threads for your i5, so the i7 would be clearly superior in gaming.
But what about Ryzen 3600 with
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING motherboard. is this better than 7700k in gaming ?

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.