Troubleshoot Upgrade problem from Windows 8.1 to 10

Jashin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 27, 2016
I have Windows 8.1 64 bit( HP laptop).
I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10( why not i said).
After the installation of W10 during the last restart of my pc it stocked on the welcome screen, then proceeding to the desktop and then again on the welcome screen and the screen was going on and off instantly. I tried to restart pc etc etc but nothing happened. So i formated the pc and went back to W8.1.
Any ideas?

Jashin

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 27, 2016
i downloaded it from microsoft. i just followed the instructions. I didnt want to lose my files dude. i just opened the upgrade programme

Reactions: tim one
Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Download the media Creation Tool
Go here Windows 10

Or use this download link Windows 10

Run the Tool and choose Upgrade or create installation media for another PC(I prefer a clean install and creating a bootable USB so I choose to create the installation media for another PC)
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.02_16h34m02s_001_.png

Fill in the choices you can also choose to create one for both 32/64 bit
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.02_16h34m33s_002_.png
Choose what you want to use a USB or DVD.I prefer USB as some laptops and PC's won't boot from a DVD
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.02_16h36m06s_003_.png

Upgrade will ask you what you want to keep or clean install.
If you have files you want to keep I would back them up on a external drive,cloud storage or another drive on your PC.
Once backed up you can do a clean install which is the preferable method to avoid installation problems.

Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
If what @Exterminator stated didn't work for you, which is unlikely.

Something that worked for me with broken USB port and no DVD drive was to extract the the ISO into the C: drive and run the setup.exe from there. Once again back up first and give that a try. Good Luck and hope you fix your issue!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.