Upload Malware Samples question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maikuolan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
A quick question regarding uploading malware samples to the virus exchange.

So far, all samples that I've posted to the virus exchange, at the time of posting them, were very fresh samples (not necessarily zero-days, but, active within 24 hours of my posting them), but, I also have quite a number of older samples that I'd found prior to my joining here at MalwareTips (I've joined quite recently); Specifically, I'm thinking about a small set that are between one and two years old and which I believe are still active in the wild (the scan history for these files on Virus Total indicates regular checks of these files over the course of that time, the latest of them being about a week back), and which have a current detection ratio (as per indicated on Virus Total) of around ~30/56 to ~40/56 (so, mostly pretty good and mostly pretty covered, but with a small selection of vendors still not detecting them).

It is stated within the guidelines for posting samples to the virus exchange that samples shouldn't be older than 30 days ("Please DO NOT post malware samples that are older than 30 days"). These older samples that I'm specifically thinking of; As per following the guidelines and based upon what else I've written here about them, should I not bother about them, or would it still be worthwhile submitting them?

dejl13

Level 1
Verified
May 1, 2015
A quick question regarding uploading malware samples to the virus exchange.

So far, all samples that I've posted to the virus exchange, at the time of posting them, were very fresh samples (not necessarily zero-days, but, active within 24 hours of my posting them), but, I also have quite a number of older samples that I'd found prior to my joining here at MalwareTips (I've joined quite recently); Specifically, I'm thinking about a small set that are between one and two years old and which I believe are still active in the wild (the scan history for these files on Virus Total indicates regular checks of these files over the course of that time, the latest of them being about a week back), and which have a current detection ratio (as per indicated on Virus Total) of around ~30/56 to ~40/56 (so, mostly pretty good and mostly pretty covered, but with a small selection of vendors still not detecting them).

It is stated within the guidelines for posting samples to the virus exchange that samples shouldn't be older than 30 days ("Please DO NOT post malware samples that are older than 30 days"). These older samples that I'm specifically thinking of; As per following the guidelines and based upon what else I've written here about them, should I not bother about them, or would it still be worthwhile submitting them?

I'm not a staff member, but if you upload an archive of them. That would be great.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
yeah, that's a good idea of providing archives of 30+ day old samples

Reactions: Maikuolan

Maikuolan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 19, 2015
Cool, and thanks for the replies. :)

I'll make a start on going through them again to double-check on current detection rates and so that I have something up-to-date to write up for them for when I put them up as a malware pack to the hub; Should see them up in a day or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.