Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Windows 10 introduced some strong mitigations to reduce the attack surface of vulnarable applications. On Windows 10, about flags of Chrome offers an option to enable the Win32k-lockdown to prevent access to large part of the kernel (hence reducing the risk of exploits doing something malicious to your system).

Firefox always had a good reputation in regard to compatibility with security applications, so I wondered could I use EMET's ASR (Attack Surface Reduction) to prevent access to important system DLL's. To my surprise I could block kernel32.dll, kernelbase.dll and ntdll.dll and firefox still kept working as attached image shows?

Browsing with rich media (video, sound) and downloading of files (liek PDF) seems to work OK, the only thing that does not work (as far as I noticed) is uploading of files (firefox becomes inresponsive and seems to crash). Strangy Chrome does crash while it had options in about://flags to enable this Windows 10 mitigation.

I also tried to block ole32.dll, but than sound does not work (remains silent) and firefox won't download files (won't crash).

Attachments

• ASR and Firefox.png
    ASR and Firefox.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Are you gonna do MemProtect+EMET+Shade right now?

:) No, sharp observation

On wife's laptop (with Windows 7 ultimate) I have MemProtect only, on my desktop I have Shade Sandbox. De-installed Shade for this test.

Tried Firefox against HPMA testtool and Firefox with EMET+ASR failed against
- Unpivot Stack
- ROP VirtualProtect() via CALL gadget
- ROP WinExec() via anti-detour
- Heap Spray 1
- Anti-VM - Mware (it blocked VirtualPC)
- Hollow process

Reactions: BugCode and SHvFl

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Yep, MemProtect blocks all HPMA testool exploit attacks with near zero CPU strain because it uses OS-mechanism, but I use my Desktop for business now (so can't use the free version of MemProtect nor Shade Sandbox).

Last edited:
Reactions: BugCode and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Does Chrome still have that option? Tried checking it today and couldn't find it. Maybe they do it by default now?

Reactions: BugCode and frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Does Chrome still have that option? Tried checking it today and couldn't find it. Maybe they do it by default now?
It's still there:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.9 KB · Views: 476
Reactions: SHvFl
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.