Using ESET NOD32 AV and Webroot SecureAnywhere AV together - Any issues?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Anyone has used the combo before? Any issues faced?

I just installed both to use each to complement the other.

ESET NOD32 AV

- AV – protect against virus, worms, trojans, spyware, rookits, ransomware
- HIPS
- PUP/PUA protection
- Auto USB scan
- SSL/HTTPS filtering
- Exploit Blocker
- Script-based Protection
- Anti-phishing protection

Webroot Secure Anywhere AV

- AV (cloud based) – protects against virus/trojans/worms/spyware/adware/rootkits/keyloggers/bots /zero-days/RATs/APTs
- Predictive protection using behaviour heuristics for offline detection
- FW (needs Windows FW to be ON, provides outbound notification). DISABLE if use another FW (intend to use ZoneAlarm Free FW here)
- Anti-phishing
- Ransomware protection with advanced journaling and rollback
- Identity theft protection – against MITM, MITB, keyloggers, BHOs, screen grabbers, banking-stealing Trojans, clipboard data theft, URL grabbers, info stealers, dialers etc
- Webcam protection
- PUP/PUA during scanning

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

I don't know if they will run side-by-side without a problem however I would say it is unlikely for that to be the case - even if it does happen to run smoothly, how do you know there isn't a conflict going on internally without you being aware? It is advised not to use multiple Anti-Virus products side-by-side because they could potentially disrupt each other and lower your protection past the level of if you had used one alone. The more security products does not necessarily equal to better protection against attacks, and the attack vectors increase for every additional piece of software you install.

I don't see why you would need both ESET NOD32 and Webroot SecureAnywhere anyway. They are both Anti-Virus products and are designed for the same purpose...

protect against virus, worms, trojans, spyware, rookits, ransomware
protects against virus/trojans/worms/spyware/adware/rootkits/keyloggers/bots /zero-days/RATs/APTs
Both of them are designed to prevent and/or identify and clean malware infections. Malware ("malicious software") includes but is not limited to: viruses, rootkits, ransomware, worms, backdoors.

I think you should try each one out on its own using the free trial I am sure they provide and decide accordingly based on your personal thoughts. Even if someone does happen to use such a combination out there and gives you the green light, there's no telling if a future update will cause a compatibility issue resulting in data corruption/other problems.

If you really insist on using both of them as a combination then make sure you make adjustments to the configuration settings so both products are white-listed and are not overlapping each other with protection. It can be tedious.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
You'll probably run into issues if you encounter malware that both products end up detecting. They'll fight over quarantining it and you may end up with protection breakages for both products.
I'd suggest only using one and if you're still concerned about its ability to protect you then pair it with something that's designed to run alongside a standard AV.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You'll probably run into issues if you encounter malware that both products end up detecting. They'll fight over quarantining it and you may end up with protection breakages for both products.
I'd suggest only using one and if you're still concerned about its ability to protect you then pair it with something that's designed to run alongside a standard AV.
Hi

According to below WSA AV is built to be compatible with another AV similar to the previous EAM

Solved: will another anti-virus program conflict - Webroot Community

Incompatibility Messages Regarding Webroot from Third Party Antivirus Programs - Webroot Community

Conflict between NIS 2014 and Webroot SecureAnywhere | Norton Community

D

Deleted member 65228

According to below WSA AV is built to be compatible with another AV similar to the previous EAM
No matter what is said, it is an Anti-Virus product and does similar or the same as other security software solutions may do, which opens up opportunity for conflicts.

You can try it out alongside another solution however even if it does work, future updates to either products may cause a problem. Webroot aren't going to be able to ensure all other mainstream solutions work alongside it without any compatibility problems for every new update any other vendor pushes out. What is compatible back then (that thread you linked to is from 2015) or now may not be compatible tomorrow.

Just a heads up. If you want to take the risk then that is fine, but just be cautious that a problem can arise at any given time.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't know if they will run side-by-side without a problem however I would say it is unlikely for that to be the case - even if it does happen to run smoothly, how do you know there isn't a conflict going on internally without you being aware? It is advised not to use multiple Anti-Virus products side-by-side because they could potentially disrupt each other and lower your protection past the level of if you had used one alone. The more security products does not necessarily equal to better protection against attacks, and the attack vectors increase for every additional piece of software you install.

I don't see why you would need both ESET NOD32 and Webroot SecureAnywhere anyway. They are both Anti-Virus products and are designed for the same purpose...

Both of them are designed to prevent and/or identify and clean malware infections. Malware ("malicious software") includes but is not limited to: viruses, rootkits, ransomware, worms, backdoors.

I think you should try each one out on its own using the free trial I am sure they provide and decide accordingly based on your personal thoughts. Even if someone does happen to use such a combination out there and gives you the green light, there's no telling if a future update will cause a compatibility issue resulting in data corruption/other problems.

If you really insist on using both of them as a combination then make sure you make adjustments to the configuration settings so both products are white-listed and are not overlapping each other with protection. It can be tedious.
WSA AV works differently from a traditional AV

Conflict between NIS 2014 and Webroot SecureAnywhere | Norton Community

Reactions: mlnevese

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No matter what is said, it is an Anti-Virus product and does similar or the same as other security software solutions may do, which opens up opportunity for conflicts.

You can try it out alongside another solution however even if it does work, future updates to either products may cause a problem. Webroot aren't going to be able to ensure all other mainstream solutions work alongside it without any compatibility problems for every new update any other vendor pushes out. What is compatible back then (that thread you linked to is from 2015) or now may not be compatible tomorrow.

Just a heads up. If you want to take the risk then that is fine, but just be cautious that a problem can arise at any given time.
FYI, the previous EAM also works as a companion to many AV products

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If they say it's compatible then who am I to argue. Just be aware that there's a very real possibility for conflict and breakage to occur.

D

Deleted member 65228

FYI, the previous EAM also works as a companion to many AV products
Yes, previous version.

You can feel free to risk it and use both security products alongside, I cannot make up your mind for you. However, there will always be an opportunity for conflict via future updates, even if it initially works.

I don't want to tell you that it will work fine regardless of what Webroot might be saying because in my opinion the likelihood is that a problem can arise at any moment due to changes in an update with the software you are using alongside Webroot - Webroot cannot control changes made by another vendor. That is all.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I have used them together for few weeks in the past and didn't find any problem. But if you have Eset then having WSA is really of no use, but you can have them together without any issue most of the time. One thing to remember is that if some one is going to install WSA and other security product, then its better to install WSA after installing the other product otherwise, other AVs will try to remove WSA.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have used them together for few weeks in the past and didn't find any problem. But if you have Eset then having WSA is really of no use, but you can have them together without any issue most of the time. One thing to remember is that if some one is going to install WSA and other security product, then its better to install WSA after installing the other product otherwise, other AVs will try to remove WSA.
I believe you can find each other's strengths I listed in the OP

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.