Advice Request Using Imaging software with Shadow Defender?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello,

Are you running any imaging software & Shadow Defender?

What imaging software?

Whats your setup for imaging software & Shadow Defender to use both effectively & avoid issues?

Thank You

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
AX64 Time Machine and Shadow Defender...

I know AX64 is not advisable w/ SD as it conflicts when in shadow mode, but when testing apps what I do is use SD on my other partition just in case I came across something malicious or even worst a ransomware I can easily revert back when necessary, even after reverting back to a previous image SD is still active on the drive hence its protected:D.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I use EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation.

I will use Shadow Defender on-demand only.

I backup C System Partition & backup is on D Data Partition.

Suppose, in Shadow Defender, I exclude EaseUS backup folder on D Partition.
If I am running Shadow Defender And Todo backup starts, backup will be created successfully?
Any other probs, etc...?

Reactions: JM Safe

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
If I am running Shadow Defender And Todo backup starts, backup will be created successfully?
Any other probs, etc...?

Haven't tried it yet but it would probably be successful...
Can't test it on AX64 as their way of backup differ although both incremental, AX64(hourly backup) uses tracking and using SD on drive C might make another full backup or probably corrupt the next incremental backup.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Most of my clients use Reboot Restore Rx Pro and Drive Cloner Rx, but a few are still using Shadow Defender but needed a disk imager so I gave them Drive Cloner Rx. Works fine enough considering the merits and drawbacks of both programs.

I don't think there's ever a 100% completely effective method. Shadow Defender is a good program, but it's notorious for not playing well with other programs, and perhaps the fault of the developer, they never bothered to release compendium programs like a disk imager.

If you want effectiveness, finding programs with synergy is the way to go. If you go this route of disk imaging and Shadow Defender it will work, no real concerns there, but you may need to make a couple changes to make it do so.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Duotone,

AX64 V2, 703 stable build was released around Jan 2016, Its been a year without updates, etc And seems development discontinued.

It runs fine on my Win 10 64 Pro Anniversary Fully Updated And backup/restore too fine. And its good for me i.e restore is fast i.e under 15 mins So trying software & reverting back gets easy & fast.

But I am in two minds to use it or not coz no updates for more than a year & stopped development. And as you know Win 10 updates bring quite a few changes & improvements So you dont know how compatible, stable & reliable AX64 V2 is with Win 10 latest updates/improvements.

Reactions: JM Safe and Duotone

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Duotone,

AX64 V2, 703 stable build was released around Jan 2016, Its been a year without updates, etc And seems development discontinued.

It runs fine on my Win 10 64 Pro Anniversary Fully Updated And backup/restore too fine. And its good for me i.e restore is fast i.e under 15 mins So trying software & reverting back gets easy & fast.

But I am in two minds to use it or not coz no updates for more than a year & stopped development. And as you know Win 10 updates bring quite a few changes & improvements So you dont know how compatible, stable & reliable AX64 V2 is with Win 10 latest updates/improvements.
Do you like AX64? In what ways is it better than Rollback RX?

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
@Yash Khan

Yup... got a copy of 703 but for some unknown reason it didn't let me install after a reformat of Windows 7, so I installed 637. Probably gonna try installing 703 tomorrow, development was discontinued and that would be a problem for Win10 user as I'm still stuck on Win7 going to continue using AX64.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Always image windows or any other OS(es) either in WinPE or in a Linux Environment, that way you can avoid driver level conflicts with AV or any other SW. I use Sergie Sterlec WinPE containing W10/W8. Hiren's or UBCD or F4UBcd will do.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Do you like AX64? In what ways is it better than Rollback RX?
No doubt, Rollback is easiest & fastest to create/restore snapshot.
But quite a few quirks...uninstall to upgrade Win 10 builds, modifies mbr & this I dont like, incompatibility can mess Rollback, Win 10 auto-repair at boot can mess Rollback, etc...
Couple days back, I was trying a software & I set my system date/time to 2 years ahead & later back to normal. When I tried to rollback, all the snapshots were deleted, only base & current snapshot were there And I had to rollback to base snapshot for clean state. I guess locking the snapshots would have not deleted the snapshots but dont know for sure.

AX64, no such probs like uninstall to upgrade Win 10 builds, doesn't modifies mbr, etc...
And backup/restore speed/time is good i.e incremental backup completes in app 1-3 mins or so & restore - 3 types of restore are there, HOT, WARM & COLD.
HOT - start within Windows & restarts the system & in DOS like environment completes the restore - takes app 10 or so mins.
WARM - start with Pre-OS console, advanced settings - uncheck "full restore" - takes app 20 mins or so.
COLD - start with Pre-OS console - takes app 30 mins or so.

An excellent & easy imaging software, stability/reliability of imaging software & backup/restore speed kinda snapshot software, offcoz not that fast but much better compared to other imaging software.
So kinda combination of imaging/snapshot software BUT sadly development seems discontinued/abandoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shmu26 and JM Safe
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I use EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation.

I will use Shadow Defender on-demand only.

I backup C System Partition & backup is on D Data Partition.

Any other probs, etc...?
Or

If I disable scheduled backup And run Shadow Defender & after doing the stuffs, restart system And enable scheduled backup --- Is this better & no probs?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
By the way, guys, as per "Peter2150", an expert user on Wilders, its good to have video files on your system i.e he mentioned, you can mount images & check if videos run fine or not, if videos run fine then chances are images are fine & restore will work fine.
Offcoz not sure shot formula But he mentioned, tried/tested, all the time videos in the images run fine, all the times images were restored fine.

I think its an excellent tip/trick i.e "verify image" takes so long And at times the tip/trick would come handy. By this I dont mean no need to verify image, offcoz its good to verify image but additional check or at times for some reasons the tip/trick would come handy.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No doubt, Rollback is easiest & fastest to create/restore snapshot.
But quite a few quirks...uninstall to upgrade Win 10 builds, modifies mbr & this I dont like, incompatibility can mess Rollback, Win 10 auto-repair at boot can mess Rollback, etc...
Couple days back, I was trying a software & I set my system date/time to 2 years ahead & later back to normal. When I tried to rollback, all the snapshots were deleted, only base & current snapshot were there And I had to rollback to base snapshot for clean state. I guess locking the snapshots would have not deleted the snapshots but dont know for sure.

AX64, no such probs like uninstall to upgrade Win 10 builds, doesn't modifies mbr, etc...
And backup/restore speed/time is good i.e incremental backup completes in app 1-3 mins or so & restore - 3 types of restore are there, HOT, WARM & COLD.
HOT - start within Windows & restarts the system & in DOS like environment completes the restore - takes app 10 or so mins.
WARM - start with Pre-OS console, advanced settings - uncheck "full restore" - takes app 20 mins or so.
COLD - start with Pre-OS console - takes app 30 mins or so.

An excellent & easy imaging software, stability/reliability of imaging software & backup/restore speed kinda snapshot software, offcoz not that fast but much better compared to other imaging software.
So kinda combination of imaging/snapshot software BUT sadly development seems discontinued/abandoned.
is the hot restore with AX64 any faster than restore with macrium reflect paid version?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I think will try "disable scheduled backup And run Shadow Defender & after doing the stuffs, restart system And enable scheduled backup" & see...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
is the hot restore with AX64 any faster than restore with macrium reflect paid version?
Now Macrium 6 paid has impressive incremental restore i.e 2-4 mins or so But with Macrium I had tried 2nd incremental backup & took 2-4 mins or so to restore, dont know if the incremental restore speed/time will be the same around 2-4 mins or so if 12th, 15th or so incremental backup is restored?

With AX64 V2, I have tried like 2nd, 3rd incremental backup to restore & it was little fast i.e under 10 mins or so And I have tried like 15th, 17th or so incremental backup to restore & it was under 15 mins or so.

Thread author
Paying for an expensive soft like Macrium only makes financial sense if you will use it as a continuous back-up solution as opposed to only on-demand.

The only people that I see using it routinely are those that must back-up data upon which their business\work is completely dependent.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Paying for an expensive soft like Macrium only makes financial sense if you will use it as a continuous back-up solution as opposed to only on-demand.

The only people that I see using it routinely are those that must back-up data upon which their business\work is completely dependent.
I have a scheduled daily backup because I tinker with my system. Sometimes I run an extra backup in the middle of the day if I am about to do something with a high risk of messing things up.
I have restored plenty of times, I can tell you.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have installed AX64 V2. It automatically does incremental backup every hour.

After 5 hours, I tried to restore to 3rd incremental backup And it took total 5 mins i.e right from starting within Windows - system restart - DOS environment - system restart - desktop - Total 5 mins, impressive/fast.
I then tried to restore to 5th incremental backup & it took total 6 mins, impressive/fast.

I think will keep AX64 V2 on Win 10 64 & see any probs or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.