Advice Request Using Imaging software with Shadow Defender?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
is the hot restore with AX64 any faster than restore with macrium reflect paid version?
shmu26,

Just for the info...

Today did AX64/FlashBack "Hot Restore" with 34th Incremental Backup And as usual in app 5 mins back to desktop...I love the backup/restore speed.
I also tried to restart the system when FB was taking incremental backup to see how FB handles interrupted backup And got "Please wait...FB is cancelling taking backup" & in few secs cancelled & system restarted...Good Job

Hope Devs revive the kinda abandoned development.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Anyone running Macrium & Shadow Defender...?
Share your experience...
Yash, I've used SD and Macrium both for a period of time during the SD trial period and I have not had any problems.
Some freezing, but maybe because I installed some AVs in testing under SD, and they write in depth.
For the rest all good.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yash, I've used SD and Macrium both for a period of time during the SD trial period and I have not had any problems.
Some freezing, but maybe because I installed some AVs in testing under SD, and they write in depth.
For the rest all good.
You disabled Macrium backup schedule to use SD... or how you used SD with Macrium...?

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Thread author
@shmu26

I have seen both Rollback RX and Shadow Defender fail to revert the system to a\the prior state. Shadow Defender is prone to it if you have to do a hard shutdown. Rollback RX is prone to do it if a process messes\tampers with disk utilities - like bcdedit.exe.

It can happen, but it is not common. I think it is no big deal. Both products have performed well for me. I find Rollback RX to be very useful - especially for testing. In any case, I have found both products are good.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@shmu26

I have seen both Rollback RX and Shadow Defender fail to revert the system to a\the prior state. Shadow Defender is prone to it if you have to do a hard shutdown. Rollback RX is prone to do it if a process messes\tampers with disk utilities - like bcdedit.exe.

It can happen, but it is not common. I think it is no big deal. Both products have performed well for me. I find Rollback RX to be very useful - especially for testing. In any case, I have found both products are good.
Hi

How about Reboot Restore RX vs SD? The end result is the same and each automatically restore to a clean state after each reboot. SD uses virtualization whilst none for Reboot. I think SD is more difficult to use here. Is virtualization important in this comparison?

Thanks

Thread author
Hi

How about Reboot Restore RX vs SD? The end result is the same and each automatically restore to a clean state after each reboot. SD uses virtualization whilst none for Reboot. I think SD is more difficult to use here. Is virtualization important in this comparison?

Thanks

I personally prefer Reboot Restore RX, but I actually use Rollback RX paid.

SD is as simple a soft as you can possibly get.

RX products are more flexible and have a few additional advantages. I covered them in my prior post.

Peter2150

Level 7
Verified
Oct 24, 2015
@shmu26

I've seen it with SD on very rare occasion. I frequently run a quick Macrium incremental just in case.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Currently I am running Macrium V7 Home. I use Shadow Defender ondemand only. And no probs Macrium & SD.

Yeah, I too have noticed at times hard shutdown, SD didn't reverted the system to clean state properly or completely. BUT after restarting the system again, system was back to clean state.

Thread author
All softs have warts... even our products. It comes with the territory.

Reactions: shmu26
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hi

Thanks
With Reboot Restore Rx, you can test programs requiring system restart............you need to set restore to "manual or user initiated" And you can also restore on boot.

Reboot Restore is kinda Rollback Rx & works like Shadow Defender with more or better options.

Reactions: shmu26

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
With Reboot Restore Rx, you can test programs requiring system restart............you need to set restore to "manual or user initiated" And you can also restore on boot.

Reboot Restore is kinda Rollback Rx & works like Shadow Defender with more or better options.
But once it restarts it'll reinstate to a clean state i.e. without the test program.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
I've never been the biggest fan of SD. Not because of the program, I mean I find it weird that it virtualizes your environment but that's not good or bad, simply is. Only real complaint I had with them is their support, unlike other companies (incl. HDS) they were much ore difficult to contact.

RollBack is nice because if you know your way around the task scheduler you can have it do the same as Reboot Restore Rx. Talked to HDS staff who were really helpful for showing how to get that set up because I had users who wanted 10 licenses, they liked RRRX Pro but didn't like that it was one state. So got them RollBack and it does all the auto restore for them so they're happy.

When in doubt, go with RollBack.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've never been the biggest fan of SD. Not because of the program, I mean I find it weird that it virtualizes your environment but that's not good or bad, simply is. Only real complaint I had with them is their support, unlike other companies (incl. HDS) they were much ore difficult to contact.

RollBack is nice because if you know your way around the task scheduler you can have it do the same as Reboot Restore Rx. Talked to HDS staff who were really helpful for showing how to get that set up because I had users who wanted 10 licenses, they liked RRRX Pro but didn't like that it was one state. So got them RollBack and it does all the auto restore for them so they're happy.

When in doubt, go with RollBack.
But Rollback don't support reboot after a hard reset only for normal reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.