Advice Request Using Kaspersky free with only Avast Behavior Shield installed.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xian

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2018
So basically I only installed the behavior shield from the avast installation wizard. I was thinking having Kaspersky as my main AV along with avast's behavior blocker is a good set up. However, admittingly I am a novice, and I don't know if these two will clash. So far, everything seems to be going smoothly, but the WD notification icon is displaying that X and is saying I shouldn't have more than one AV installed. Thanks.

Xian

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2018
As much as you deactivate this and that, reality remains two AVs in the same system, and one hour or another will give you a headache.
I thought since KAF lacked a behaviour blocker it would be wise to add some kind of behaviour blocker, and I thought since it lacked a bb itself it wouldn't clash (but as I said I lack any real knowledge and am only assuming). So I only installed the behaviour shield from avast. It's not that I deactivated the file scanner, web scanner etc. I simply didn't install them. Still probably a bad idea? Thanks.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Not worth the risk. Tried to install Kaspersky Free along Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware and my computer would no longer boot. They will probably conflict during boot and block each other. Just use one or the other.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Not so good idea I think. But why not just use Avast then? It's not that their signatures are so bad compared to Kaspersky. Other than that I don't see what kaspersky offers more compared to an all-enabled Avast. Doing it the way you propose to do it, Avast will probably nag after some time that here is no real time protection and don't forget that you always load the services of both Avast and Kaspersky, which will cause serious slowdowns than using only one.
Another question, do you really need all this extra behaviour stuff Avast has? If yes, there are probably better non-conflicting additions next to Kaspersky, or what about buying Kaspersky Internet Security?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I would choose only 1 out of the 2 AVs you have installed, definitely going to eat up system resources and a high chance of conflicting with each other.

I used to use avast but ever since the update with the behavioral blocker I have been having errors with avast and have since swapped to kaspersky free, I have to say that kaspersky is definitely lighter on my system compared to avast and the load time for my games are a lot quicker now.

It's entirely up to you but I suggest choosing one AV over the other and customizing it to your liking so that it offers optimal protections. If you choose to stick with avast maybe you could enable harderned mode to increase detections rates?

Xian

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2018
Not so good idea I think. But why not just use Avast then? It's not that their signatures are so bad compared to Kaspersky. Other than that I don't see what kaspersky offers more compared to an all-enabled Avast. Doing it the way you propose to do it, Avast will probably nag after some time that here is no real time protection and don't forget that you always load the services of both Avast and Kaspersky, which will cause serious slowdowns than using only one.
Another question, do you really need all this extra behaviour stuff Avast has? If yes, there are probably better non-conflicting additions next to Kaspersky, or what about buying Kaspersky Internet Security?

I can't afford KIS because I'm a student and am short on money. I would love some suggestions for an alternative bb I could put alongside KAF. I hear you about using only avast, but I just don't like it as much as KAF. Thanks.

Reactions: bribon77

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Why do you want a BB? KFA is good enough because it has a robust cloud! just tweak it for maximum protection or add os armor(free and simple BB).
Or combine KFA and comodo hips!Hips>bb but you have to make a decision(Block or allow). it's easy but need the learning curve.
if you are lazy and also don't want to pay then Osarmor +kfa or use pirated keys for Kaspersky internet security!

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I thought since KAF lacked a behaviour blocker it would be wise to add some kind of behaviour blocker, and I thought since it lacked a bb itself it wouldn't clash (but as I said I lack any real knowledge and am only assuming). So I only installed the behaviour shield from avast. It's not that I deactivated the file scanner, web scanner etc. I simply didn't install them. Still probably a bad idea? Thanks.
It's still a bad idea, install Kaspersky Free alone, it will offer you good protection, or if you do not want to give up a BB on a free AV, use Avast or AVG, have Panda too, which is super light and has good detection.

Xian

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 7, 2018
Thanks everyone. I will follow everyone's advice and uninstall avast's bb. I guess I'll be hanging with KFA and might try Comodo Firewall or VoodoShield. I appreciate everyone for their advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.