Troubleshoot Using system protection on a drive that contains system image help?

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
system restore
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
system retore points
Your current Antivirus
eset
Hi I am getting this error in the system retore point box on windows 11.
I had to format another drive I had on my computer and now I get this error saying "Using system protection on a drive that contains system image bvackups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal".
I am not backing up to drive c I have a portable drive for that.I am though using system restore on the main C drive with my EFi partition.
I think this error is normal ,but just want to make sure .Thks

Reactions: simmerskool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

I had to format another drive I had on my computer and now I get this error saying "Using system protection on a drive that contains system image bvackups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal".
I am not backing up to drive c I have a portable drive for that.I am though using system restore on the main C drive with my EFi partition.
To be honest system restore has never been completely reliable and at best only good for issues that have happened recently. It might be best to turn it off and use system imaging software of your choice.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The following may be a useful read. But as @Ultimate Vision said, System Restore is unreliable. It sometimes doesn't work, no matter what version of Windows you are using. It's a shame that Microsoft have never made it more reliable.

Using system protection on a drive that contains system image backups will cause other shadow copies to be deleted faster than normal​

If you see this message after you turn on System restore, then you need to know this.

System protection (System restore) uses a reserved space to backup file versions for every Restore point. Now as this reserved space starts filling up, older versions start getting deleted. Now if you have configured your Windows Backup to save System Image Backups to this drive, then because these image backups take up large disk space, the other file backups (shadow copies) will start getting deleted faster. If this is your case, then Windows warns you about this.

So in this case, you can let the reserved disk space settings remain as it is knowing that the shadow copies will get deleted faster or you may increase the Reserved Space allotted to System protection.

Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi Thanks for all replies ,ust after i posted the above thread I had restarted my machine and got a blue screen bad pool header error ,as said above I tried restore point twice and like users said above it is completely unreliable ,both times i tried restore point did not work.
I had to go to me Friday backup to fix the blue screen.
Has anyone tried Eazyfix ? Is it reliable and will it interfere with windows updates when going back to a certain point in time ?

Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

The error message you are seeing is actually a warning, not an error. It is letting you know that if you use system protection (which includes creating system restore points) on a drive that also contains system image backups, the shadow copies (previous versions of files) on that drive will be deleted faster than usual.

In your case, it seems that you have system protection enabled on your C drive, which is where your operating system is installed, including the EFI partition. This is normal, as the C drive is typically the primary drive in most systems.

If you are not backing up your system image to the C drive, then this warning is not something you need to worry about. It's just letting you know that any existing shadow copies on the C drive may be deleted faster than usual due to the system protection activity.

If you are confident that your system image backups are stored on a separate, portable drive, then you can safely ignore this warning.

I hope this clarifies things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hi Thanks for all replies ,ust after i posted the above thread I had restarted my machine and got a blue screen bad pool header error ,as said above I tried restore point twice and like users said above it is completely unreliable ,both times i tried restore point did not work.
I had to go to me Friday backup to fix the blue screen.
Has anyone tried Eazyfix ? Is it reliable and will it interfere with windows updates when going back to a certain point in time ?
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced a blue screen error and that the system restore point did not work for you. It's unfortunate that system restore can sometimes be unreliable. Regarding Eazyfix, I don't have specific information about that software, but it's always a good idea to do thorough research and read reviews before using any third-party software for system backup and restore.

When using third-party backup and restore software, it's important to ensure compatibility with your operating system and to follow the instructions provided by the software developer. This includes checking if the software may interfere with Windows updates or other system functions.

If you're concerned about relying on system restore points, you may want to consider alternative methods of backup and restore, such as disk imaging or using reliable backup software. These methods can provide a more comprehensive backup solution and may offer more reliable restore options.

Remember to always keep important data backed up in multiple locations to ensure you have a fallback in case of unexpected events.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.