uTorrent deleted itself

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I've been using uTorrent for years and today I launch it and it deletes itself! Windows Defender was moaning so I checked out Event Viewer and this is what it said:

Code:
Windows Defender Antivirus has taken action to protect this machine from malware or other potentially unwanted software.
 For more information please see the following:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=PUA:Win32/uTorrent&threatid=236126&enterprise=0
     Name: PUA:Win32/uTorrent
     ID: 236126
     Severity: Severe
     Category: Potentially Unwanted Software
     Path: file:_D:\Sort\Downloads\uTorrent.exe
     Detection Origin: Local machine
     Detection Type: Concrete
     Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
     User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
     Process Name: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
     Action: Quarantine
     Action Status:  No additional actions required
     Error Code: 0x80508023
     Error description: The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this device.
     Signature Version: AV: 1.255.252.0, AS: 1.255.252.0, NIS: 118.1.0.0
     Engine Version: AM: 1.1.14305.0, NIS: 2.1.14202.0

The MS link says:

upload_2017-10-30_20-49-22.png

So I tried adding a folder exclusion for uTorrent but that didn't help.

What is the correct way to install and continue running uTorrent without it getting blocked by WD? If WD is running I can't even download the file!

I'm assuming an AV update in WD has caused it to block uTorrent from today onwards.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I've been using uTorrent for years and today I launch it and it deletes itself! Windows Defender was moaning so I checked out Event Viewer and this is what it said:

Code:
Windows Defender Antivirus has taken action to protect this machine from malware or other potentially unwanted software.
 For more information please see the following:
https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=PUA:Win32/uTorrent&threatid=236126&enterprise=0
     Name: PUA:Win32/uTorrent
     ID: 236126
     Severity: Severe
     Category: Potentially Unwanted Software
     Path: file:_D:\Sort\Downloads\uTorrent.exe
     Detection Origin: Local machine
     Detection Type: Concrete
     Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
     User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
     Process Name: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
     Action: Quarantine
     Action Status:  No additional actions required
     Error Code: 0x80508023
     Error description: The program could not find the malware and other potentially unwanted software on this device.
     Signature Version: AV: 1.255.252.0, AS: 1.255.252.0, NIS: 118.1.0.0
     Engine Version: AM: 1.1.14305.0, NIS: 2.1.14202.0

The MS link says:

View attachment 171229
So I tried adding a folder exclusion for uTorrent but that didn't help.

What is the correct way to install and continue running uTorrent without it getting blocked by WD? If WD is running I can't even download the file!

I'm assuming an AV update in WD has caused it to block uTorrent from today onwards.
It's bundled with Lavasoft Web Companion that is why you are getting that alert!
Try installing a portable version:
µTorrent Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives

ParaXY

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
But this was for an installation of uTorrent that was installed many months ago so why was it blocked today is why I am confused...

Reactions: lowdetection

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Do you have controlled folder access on?It might be the culprit,try {if you do have it on} to shut it then reinstall,you will know right away if that is why .I checked the download file with virus total and it had only 1 alert out of 66 engines, gl interested with your reply if you are able to solve the problem

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Probably MS updated their signatures?
Try the portable version I mentioned above and see if you still have the same issue or you can switch to:
qBittorrent
I second this alternative. qBittorrent is the best torrent software for home users in my opinion. It's much more cleaner and less intrusive. Years ago my antivirus providers then, which i believe was ESET recommended me to switch from uTorrent to qBittorrent to avoid malware alerts.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I second this alternative. qBittorrent is the best torrent software for home users in my opinion. It's much more cleaner and less intrusive. Years ago my antivirus providers then, which i believe was ESET recommended me to switch from uTorrent to qBittorrent to avoid malware alerts.
Indeed,it's worked great for me!:)

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I also vouch for qbittorrent. Lightweight, open source, and it never bundled adware (so far). It is my option everytime I install a Bittorrent client in a computer. But if you want to stay with utorrent, I recommend utorrent 2.2.1. It was the last version before the software was sold out, but still works well.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I can Dw my movies, Games, Softs, tv series and music all from Persians websites(they have very rich database)!
Also, we don't have copyright law so no one bothers you for downloading illegal stuff and you don't dont need to hdie in torrent client :D
Here in Australia they are cracking down on torrenting, especially movies and music.You may even get a cinavia protection alert from your isp!!
jWAAEWA.png

People get around this easily.;)
I do not condone piracy but you cannot eradicate it.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.