Advice Request UWP browsers

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I was wondering what extra isolation do UWP browsers on the windows store have to offer from a security perspective.

Does it eg make sense to do generic browsing ( which is the most likely means to get hit by exploits or malware ) with an UWP browser and use a non UWP browser exclusively for webmail, financials, online shopping.

Reactions: ZeroDay and shmu26

I was wondering what extra isolation do UWP browsers on the windows store have to offer from a security perspective.

Does it eg make sense to do generic browsing ( which is the most likely means to get hit by exploits or malware ) with an UWP browser and use a non UWP browser exclusively for webmail, financials, online shopping.

AppContainer in Edge and sandboxes in other browsers are essentially equivalent. It doesn't make any sense to separate web activities according to the browser being used.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
AppContainer in Edge and sandboxes in other browsers are essentially equivalent. It doesn't make any sense to separate web activities according to the browser being used.

I could be wrong but my understanding is that what you say is slightly less safe due to leaving out the possibility of process injections ( after ie the browser has been compromised by an exploit during “generic” browsing )

UWP status should prevent it from editing registry keys and prevent it seeing the process table ( blocking process injections to other apps ) add to this a potential folder access restriction policy and it’s effectively a sandbox.

My understanding is that even UWP apps can see that there are processes that started from the same UWP binary - so injection can happen but only between processes from the same app. By segregating generic browsing and online shopping/finance activities between separate browsers, even process injections shouldn’t happen due to exploits during “generic” browsing.

On the other hand wouldn’t using eg edge for everything still allow process injections to the shopping tab process ?

I could be wrong but my understanding is that what you say is slightly less safe due to leaving out the possibility of process injections ( after ie the browser has been compromised by an exploit during “generic” browsing )

UWP status should prevent it from editing registry keys and prevent it seeing the process table ( blocking process injections to other apps ) add to this a potential folder access restriction policy and it’s effectively a sandbox.

My understanding is that even UWP apps can see that there are processes that started from the same UWP binary - so injection can happen but only between processes from the same app. By segregating generic browsing and online shopping/finance activities between separate browsers, even process injections shouldn’t happen due to exploits during “generic” browsing.

On the other hand wouldn’t using eg edge for everything still allow process injections to the shopping tab process ?

There have been documented cases where the exploit has broken out of the AppContainer.

Like I said, both types of browsers are essentially equivalent in terms of security.

UWP does not provide greater security than other browsers.

Actually, Chrome has a whole lot fewer CVEs than Edge. The ratio is probably on the order of 1:10. Check for yourself.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
There have been documented cases where the exploit has broken out of the AppContainer.

Like I said, both types of browsers are essentially equivalent in terms of security.

UWP does not provide greater security than other browsers.

Actually, Chrome has a whole lot fewer CVEs than Edge. The ratio is probably on the order of 1:10. Check for yourself.

AppContainer may indeed be broken like any other process segregation technique.

Excluding this event though from the threat vector (as it’s a rare one), I’d expect using an UWP browser for generic browsing to be safer as it prevents one type of attack (injection to the other browser)

Chrome can be used for ie online shopping/financials and the UWP browser for general surfing , with UWP preventing injections to Chrome - while I guess chrome processes see the existence of other chrome processes ( else eg addons wouldn’t work ) and could thus use injection

AppContainer may indeed be broken like any other process segregation technique.

Excluding this event though from the threat vector (as it’s a rare one), I’d expect using an UWP browser for generic browsing to be safer as it prevents one type of attack (injection to the other browser)

Chrome can be used for ie online shopping/financials and the UWP browser for general surfing , with UWP preventing injections to Chrome - while I guess chrome processes see the existence of other chrome processes ( else eg addons wouldn’t work ) and could thus use injection

If you wish, you can enable Chrome AppContainer. There is a flag for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.