Valve makes Windows games playable on Linux with new version of Steam Play

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Steam Play was introduced as a part of Valve’s Steam storefront in 2010, promising multi-platform versions of games with a single purchase, meaning that players could buy a game once and play it on Windows, macOS, or Linux – provided it had a version available on each platform.

Today, Valve introduced a new version of Steam Play, and it’s growing quite a lot in what it offers. Steam Play now offers the massive Windows library of games to players on Linux; Valve has been working with CodeWeavers for the past two years, developing a modified distribution of Wine, the popular Linux compatibility layer that’s definitely not an emulator.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Wow.!

So good times ahead, at some point here, I can potentially ditch my Windows boxes and game on Linux. That'll be a nice thing for me since I generally despise Windows. Since Proton is opensource, let's hope others grab it and release forks. Windows dominance is fading very rapidly in some markets (like EDU), and hopefully, the last vestige of me running Windows will be over (gaming).

Now about those Linux Drivers for Nvidia.. :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

This is pretty cool and I really hope they are able to bring more and more big name games over. If it wasn't for gaming I would have switch to Linux along time ago and I believe that tons of gamers out there feel the same way. I'll be honest, if we put aside the business, enterprise, education, etc...market for a moment, this would put a decent size dent in Microsoft user base if all gamers could play all their favourite games on Linux. Granted they would still have the largest market share due to their business/enterprise market, but there are lots of gamers out there that are just using windows for gaming and would gladly switch if they could play them on another OS.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.