• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello,

I am trying Veeam Endpoint Backup Free. It seems good...

Bootable Recovery Media features ---
Recovery
Windows Recovery Environment - Microsoft Windows System Image Recovery Environment.
Tools - CMD, Reset Password, Load Driver, Memory Diagnostic, Startup Repair & Export Logs.

Official Website
Free Desktop and Laptop backup - Veeam Endpoint Backup

User Guide (Good)
https://www.veeam.com/veeam_endpoint_free_1_5_user_guide_en_pg.pdf

Here are the screenshots ---

Anyone use it?
Please share your experience...

Thank You

UPDATE ---

Win 10 64 Pro
C Partition 52GB/100GB Full, Backup saved on D Partition

Full Backup - completed in app 45 mins.
Incremental Backup 1,2,3 - completed in app 5-10 mins

I thought how it handles interrupted backup?
I started a backup & midway restarted the system.
After system restart, tray icon showed previous backup was cancelled But backup folder had interrupted/incomplete image. I started a backup And Veeam detected inomplete/bad image, deleted it & continued with the incremental backup...Good Job

SCR1.png SCR2.png SCR3.png SCR4.png SCR5.png SCR6.png SCR7.png SCR8.png SCR9.png SCR10.png SCR11.png SCR12.png SCR13.png SCR14.png SCR15.png SCR16.png SCR17.png SCR18.png SCR19.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello,

I performed restore to 15th incremental backup with inject drivers option disabled.
Restore wizard summary had inject drivers disabled, drivers in the backup or windows default drivers will be on the restored system.

Restore took app 30 mins & everything fine on the system, chkdsk came fine.

Thank You

P.S - By the way, V2 is coming...renamed to Veeam Agent for Windows...lets see what all changes/improvements is coming...currently public beta available...

[BETA] Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.0 | view topic

Download
Register here to request an invitation. Please note that we will be sending invites in portions a few hundreds at once.

Veeam Agent for Windows comes in Free, Workstation and Server editions with the following new features on top of existing functionality of Veeam Endpoint Backup 1.5

Free
• Windows Server 2016 support
• Source-side encryption
• Optional periodic Active Full backup
• Configurable compression and block size
• Improved backup performance for file level backup mode
• Option to skip bad blocks enabled by default

Workstation (in addition to Free)
• 24.7.365 support
• Backup cache for mobile users
• Backup directly to Veeam Cloud Connect
• Remote management and configuration API
• Optional periodic synthetic full backup

Server (in addition to Workstation)
• Application-aware processing engine (same functionality as in Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5)
• File system indexing (including the integration with Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager catalog search and 1-Click FLR)
• Server-focused job scheduler (same as in Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I didn't knew Veeam is one of the respected & reliable solutions in the corporate world. I came across a post on ghacks & came to know about Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE. I tried it & liked it. And I must say I find it excellent & reliable & robust backup software. Its good for backup/restore. It also mention bare metal restore in the recovery media. Clone, etc feature is not there.

For majority users, I think its good & reliable. For backup/restore, I find it better & reliable than Aomei, Todo, etc.

I think if cloning, etc is not required, reliable backup/restore is the need, users of Aomei, Todo, etc should give it a try. I think they will be impressed. Simple, robust & reliable solution with no bloats & nonsense.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hello,

Why I say its a smart, robust & reliable solution?

Its backup is like incremental forever i.e initial full backup & then incremental backup.
It has an option to keep the backup for number of days set, default set to 14 days (haven't tried it yet i.e dont know after 14 days what it does?)
It has an option "standalone full backup" (adhoc backup)
It has an option "backup to another location" (standalone full backup)
It has file level backup

Backup chain is very important...a bad image in the backup chain will affect restore operation.

I tried interrupting the on-going backup by restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system with the following software

Macrium & Aomei - I tried only restart system And for Macrium, I got Macrium is taking backup...restart anyway or cancel, for Aomei, I got Aomei is taking backup & system will restart when backup is completed...Good Job. I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with Macrium & Aomei.

EaseUS Todo - I tried restart system And system restarted. After system restart, incomplete image was there in the chain in the backup folder. I started another backup & new incremental backup was created leaving the bad image in the chain...Bad Job. In the GUI, backup details, bad image was not showing up (dont know if restore operation will be affected or not?) I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with Todo.

FlashBack V2 - I tried only restart system And I got FlashBack is cancelling the backup...Good Job. I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with FlashBack.

Veeam - I tried restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system And system restarted/shutdown/hard shutdown. After system restart, bad image was there in the chain in the backup folder. I started another backup & new incremental replaced/deleted bad image. I tried restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system interrupting Veeam on-going backup few times at different percentages of on-going backup like 15%, 25%, 50%, 70%, 90%, 99% And everytime bad image was replaced/deleted by next incremental backup...Excellent Job. And finally there were 15 incremental backup.

Now came the important part...how well did Veeam handled the tests & images?...Outstanding Job.
I performed restore to 15th incremental backup And restore completed in 30 mins And everything on the system was fine, chkdsk came fine & sfc /scannow came fine.

Just wanted to share the experience.

Thank You

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hello,

Why I say its a smart, robust & reliable solution?
Its backup is like incremental forever i.e initial full backup & then incremental backup.
It has an option to keep the backup for number of days set, default set to 14 days (haven't tried it yet i.e dont know after 14 days what it does?)
It has an option "standalone full backup" (adhoc backup)
It has an option "backup to another location" (standalone full backup)
It has file level backup

Backup chain is very important...a bad image in the backup chain will affect restore operation.

I tried interrupting the on-going backup by restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system with the following software

Macrium & Aomei - I tried only restart system And for Macrium, I got Macrium is taking backup...restart anyway or cancel, for Aomei, I got Aomei is taking backup & system will restart when backup is completed...Good Job. I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with Macrium & Aomei.

EaseUS Todo - I tried restart system And system restarted. After system restart, incomplete image was there in the chain in the backup folder. I started another backup & new incremental backup was created leaving the bad image in the chain...Bad Job. In the GUI, backup details, bad image was not showing up (dont know if restore operation will be affected or not?) I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with Todo.

FlashBack V2 - I tried only restart system And I got FlashBack is cancelling the backup...Good Job. I didn't tried shutdown/hard shutdown with FlashBack.

Veeam - I tried restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system And system restarted/shutdown/hard shutdown. After system restart, bad image was there in the chain in the backup folder. I started another backup & new incremental replaced/deleted bad image. I tried restart/shutdown/hard shutdown system interrupting Veeam on-going backup few times at different percentages of on-going backup like 15%, 25%, 50%, 70%, 90%, 99% And everytime bad image was replaced/deleted by next incremental backup...Excellent Job. And finally there were 15 incremental backup.

Now came the important part...how well did Veeam handled the tests & images?...Outstanding Job.
I performed restore to 15th incremental backup And restore completed in 30 mins And everything on the system was fine, chkdsk came fine & sfc /scannow came fine.

Just wanted to share the experience.

Thank You
That's a well designed and a superb review over important points. Thanks Yash :)
It's a new name for me. Will surely give it a try. Features look abundant yet.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Just for the info -

I use Shadow Defender on-demand And during SD use, disable backup schedule (if hourly) & keep enabled (if daily & scheduled time will not clash with SD usage time)

Tried Shadow Defender with Todo Backup Workstation - not even used SD & sometime later got BSOD i.e BCD errors & system unbootable
Tried Shadow Defender with FlashBack V2 - used SD And after system restart tried FB backup & it lost its tracking & started fresh i.e select source/destination

Tried Shadow Defender with Veeam - used SD few times And no probs i.e Veeam backup & all normal

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Just for the info -

I use Shadow Defender on-demand And during SD use, disable backup schedule (if hourly) & keep enabled (if daily & scheduled time will not clash with SD usage time)
Tried Shadow Defender with Veeam - used SD few times And no probs i.e Veeam backup & all normal

I thought what would happen if I forget to disable Veeam backup schedule And use Shadow Defender And Veeam performed backup during Shadow Defender usage?
Currently I dont use Veeam backup schedule i.e I configured Veeam backup schedule & unchecked daily backup schedule And instead I use Windows task scheduler & have scheduled Veeam backup to take backup every 2 hours.

Little test -
Started Shadow Defender And in 5 hours, Veeam performed 2 backups And I restarted the system.
After system restart, those 2 backups were not there in backup folder And Veeam GUI too didn't showed the 2 backups.
On scheduled time, Veeam performed backup & no probs i.e Veeam backup & all normal...IMPRESSED

I have noticed that with Shadow Defender use, some backup/imaging programs lose their tracking, some are not compatible with Shadow Defender, some give probs BSOD or BCD errors, etc (like with Todo Backup I have mentioned in one of my previous posts), etc... BUT I am really impressed with Veeam, simply no probs, etc...
The more & more I test Veeam, I find it SOLID/RELIABLE in every way...

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
First of all THANKS :)

This morning I installed it.

The good:
Has created a rescue disk without problems
Making a backup is simple,
Clean and friendly interface
Setting up email notification can not be simpler
The information that post backup offers is broad

The bad:
It is not fast (but it is not slow)

Having said all this, I'm going to have it on my computer for a month, I'll evaluate it quietly, but never a program for to do backups had caused me such a first feeling so good.

veeam.png

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
During the Windows boot (restart),
does Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE
give the user the chance to enter a Recovery Console
WITHOUT using a Media Recovery storage device like a USB, CD/DVD etc?

In other words,
does Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE
include a Recovery Boot Menu Option
(like the one offered by Macrium Reflect Free)?

A

acemnr suvwxz

Thread author
Thanks for the info, :) but it seems is not an upgradeable version, it should be that not only has the name changed, it may have also changed the product
Veeam backup is upgradeable, auto-update not released yet.

You can do manual upgrade, download installer & install or fresh install, your choice.

Attachments

• auto-upgrade.png
    auto-upgrade.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 446
  • manual upgrade.png
    manual upgrade.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 441
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.