Very Slow Internet with MULTIPLE Browsers on Windows 10, Version 21H2 (64-bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
Hello,

For the past few days, my Internet has been very slow. (I have Comcast Xfinity, with a Gigabit speed plan and use ONLY an Ethernet cable on this laptop -- NO Wi-Fi). Whereas I USUALLY average around somewhere between 300 to 500 MBPS, I'm only now getting anywhere between 60 to 170 MBPS. This is occurring with MULTIPLE browsers (Chrome, Edge and Firefox), which are ALL the MOST CURRENT versions. I've ran FULL scans with Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 14.2), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free edition) [in Normal Mode AND Safe Mode] and SpyBot Search & Destroy (once again, in BOTH Normal Mode AND Safe Mode). They're ALL updated -- and they haven't found anything.

Earlier today, I ran FRST (files attached). Although Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free edition) didn't find anything, I was poking around and decided to also try Malwarebytes Adwcleaner. It DID find some registry entries (attached), but nothing else of any concern (malware, etc.). Those registry entries have been quarantined, but I haven't deleted them yet (and I haven't rebooted yet -- as I'm posting here, right after running it). Perhaps those registry entries could be slowing down my Internet, but I'm not 100% certain.

Last night, I downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" & ran it. I decided to keep my apps/programs & data & reinstall Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. Upon its completion, I IMMEDIATELY ran Ookla SpeedTest -- and my speed was once again somewhere between 300 - 500 MBPS! HOWEVER, once I opened Microsoft Edge, it was taking a LONG time to load up ANY pages, including my GMAIL and YouTube (and yes, I've seen a LOT of reports about Edge users having YouTube issues, and overall VERY slow page loads with Edge as well). Chrome and Firefox are also VERY SLOW, but NOT as bad as Edge (with Chrome being the QUICKEST of the 3, but STILL VERY slow). Earlier today, I also did the Windows updates, rebooted and it's now version 21H2 (the MOST CURRENT version of Windows 10). I might try downloading a previous version of Edge, uninstall the CURRENT version (which is the MOST CURRENT version -- version 96.0.1054.62), uninstall Chrome & Firefox, download them again (MOST CURRENT versions for BOTH -- as I haven't heard of any issues with those), run CCleaner, reboot and then install the browsers again and see check the browsers and my overall Internet speed again.

When someone has a moment, could they please review my attachments & let me know if they have any other suggestions? MANY thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• FRST (Addition).txt
    55.7 KB · Views: 16
  • AdwCleaner Scan Results.txt
    7.3 KB · Views: 16

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
Hello,

For the past few days, my Internet has been very slow. (I have Comcast Xfinity, with a Gigabit speed plan and use ONLY an Ethernet cable on this laptop -- NO Wi-Fi). Whereas I USUALLY average around somewhere between 300 to 500 MBPS, I'm only now getting anywhere between 60 to 170 MBPS. This is occurring with MULTIPLE browsers (Chrome, Edge and Firefox), which are ALL the MOST CURRENT versions. I've ran FULL scans with Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 14.2), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free edition) [in Normal Mode AND Safe Mode] and SpyBot Search & Destroy (once again, in BOTH Normal Mode AND Safe Mode). They're ALL updated -- and they haven't found anything.

Earlier today, I ran FRST (files attached). Although Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free edition) didn't find anything, I was poking around and decided to also try Malwarebytes Adwcleaner. It DID find some registry entries (attached), but nothing else of any concern (malware, etc.). Those registry entries have been quarantined, but I haven't deleted them yet (and I haven't rebooted yet -- as I'm posting here, right after running it). Perhaps those registry entries could be slowing down my Internet, but I'm not 100% certain.

Last night, I downloaded the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" & ran it. I decided to keep my apps/programs & data & reinstall Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit. Upon its completion, I IMMEDIATELY ran Ookla SpeedTest -- and my speed was once again somewhere between 300 - 500 MBPS! HOWEVER, once I opened Microsoft Edge, it was taking a LONG time to load up ANY pages, including my GMAIL and YouTube (and yes, I've seen a LOT of reports about Edge users having YouTube issues, and overall VERY slow page loads with Edge as well). Chrome and Firefox are also VERY SLOW, but NOT as bad as Edge (with Chrome being the QUICKEST of the 3, but STILL VERY slow). Earlier today, I also did the Windows updates, rebooted and it's now version 21H2 (the MOST CURRENT version of Windows 10). I might try downloading a previous version of Edge, uninstall the CURRENT version (which is the MOST CURRENT version -- version 96.0.1054.62), uninstall Chrome & Firefox, download them again (MOST CURRENT versions for BOTH -- as I haven't heard of any issues with those), run CCleaner, reboot and then install the browsers again and see check the browsers and my overall Internet speed again.

When someone has a moment, could they please review my attachments & let me know if they have any other suggestions? MANY thanks in advance!
P.S.> I also wanted to add that I've tried different DNS servers (i.e., Google, OpenDNS, etc.) -- as I KNOW that they're typically quicker than the Comcast DNS ( ;-) ), but I STILL have VERY slow Internet.

Hello,

When someone has a moment, could they please review my attachments & let me know if they have any other suggestions? MANY thanks in advance! :)
It looks like it removed one of my attachments, so reattaching it now:

Reactions: Sorrento

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
I am Karsten and will gladly help you with any malware-related problems.

Please familiarize yourself with the following ground rules before you start.
  • Read my instructions thoroughly, carry out each step in the given order.
  • Do not make any changes to your system, or run any tools other than those I provided. Do not delete, fix, uninstall, or install anything unless I tell you to.
  • If you are unsure about anything or if you encounter any problems, please stop and inform me about it.
  • Stick with me until I tell you that your computer is clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that your computer is free of malware.
  • Back up important files before we start.
  • Note: On weekends I might be slow to reply
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Multiple Security Software

Your system has a lot of security software installed, most of which are still actively running in the background.

Having more than one Antivirus product on your system will weaken security and slow down your system and likely also affect your browser speed. AVs need to deeply ingrain into the system in order to fight malware. This and the fact that they carry malware patterns with them for malware detection makes them look like malware for other AV software. Different AVs may recognize each other as malicious and using them at the same time may have unforseen consequences.

For that reason I want you to decide for one AV product that you will keep. I found these AV and AS programs on your system:
  1. SUPERAntiSpyware
  2. Symantec Endpoint
  3. Spybot S&D
  4. Malwarebytes
  5. and always inbuilt: Windows Defender

Please tell me which one of these you want to keep as your main AV and uninstall the others (except Windows Defender).

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

Please do another scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool. Make sure to attach both, FRST.txt and Addition.txt to your next reply.

Your Adwcleaner Scan

The scan shows Webcompanion and Torch browser. These are questionable programs, Torch is often bundled with unwanted programs and users are tricked into installing them. Webcompanion likely arrived with it and is often found on systems without consent of the users.
Do you want to keep those?

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
Greetings, and hello Karsten!

Thanks SO MUCH for your response; it is IMMENSELY appreciated! :)

I've had the security software on my system for the past few years, without any issues until recently. However, given what you've said (which does make sense), I'll stick with Symantec Endpoint Protection & uninstall the others. (I almost forgot that I also have SUPERAntiSpyware as well.)

Attached are the 2 FRST scan files. (I'm not sure why 1 of them didn't post last night, but I'm hoping they'll BOTH appear THIS time.)

As for Webcompanion and Torch browser, I must have removed those programs some time ago (and they might have been installed with something else, without my consent). ALL that was remaining were those registry keys, per the AdwCleaner scan results. Last night, I decided to delete them; I'm hoping that won't cause any issues (and I will NOT make ANY other changes from here on in, until/unless you tell me to do so). Oh, and I JUST completed backing up all my important docs now as well.

Once again, thanks for your response, and I look forward to ANY/ALL assistance you'll offer! :)

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    57.1 KB · Views: 15

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
I'm not sure, but it only posted 1 of the 2 files again. Here's the FRST file.

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
I know that my 3 replies above are still awaiting moderator approval. However, I only see the Addition.txt file, and NOT the FRST.txt file I tried to upload again twice after that. I'm hoping that it'll appear, once my posts are approved. If you STILL don't see the FRST.txt file, then is there some other way I can send it to you, Karsten?

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
I know that my 3 replies above are still awaiting moderator approval. However, I only see the Addition.txt file, and NOT the FRST.txt file I tried to upload again twice after that. I'm hoping that it'll appear, once my posts are approved. If you STILL don't see the FRST.txt file, then is there some other way I can send it to you, Karsten?
I combined BOTH files into ONE *.txt file, and I'll reupload it THAT way if you need it (JUST IN CASE the FRST file doesn't appear in my above posts).

Reactions: Dave Russo

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
I still only have the Addition.txt. You can combine both files as suggested.

Alternatively you can also use Pastebin.com - #1 paste tool since 2002!

On their site, copy and paste the content of FRST.txt into the text box.
Set the paste expiration date to 1 week.
Click on Create New Paste
Then copy and paste the URL for your FRST.txt here.
Done; thanks!

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Hello again,

It seems to me that this computer is used for work, because you have enterprise software on your system.
If I execute any fixes and something goes wrong, I might run into legal issues. You need to talk to your companies IT department to fix issues with the system itself because they are responsible for it. I cannot provide any concrete instructions or fixes at this point.

I will still give you some general hints what you can do:
  • To narrow down the cause, check if other devices on the network have the same speed issues. If that's the case, it is not your system that needs fixing.
  • Please try a brand new network cable. Sometimes these are old or just faulty and then cause transmission problems.
  • Call your ISP, tell them about your network issues, maybe they can help
  • Reset your router.
  • Reset the DNS cache.
  • Reset or reinstall your browsers.
  • Reset your hosts file.
  • If you use cleaning software like CCleaner, the browsers will be notably slower directly after cleaning their cache files. Caching is there to boost speed.
  • You have a driver updater on your system (DriverEasy). It is not advisable to update drivers on a regular basis. Such tools can cause more harm than good. I recommend not to use it anymore.
  • Your logs still show all the security software I listed above. Either the scan was done before you uninstalled them or the software is still on the system. I would at least try and see if the system is faster without those.
Do you have any questions?

Last edited:

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
Hello again,

It seems to me that this computer is used for work, because you have enterprise software on your system.
If I execute any fixes and something goes wrong, I might run into legal issues. You need to talk to your companies IT department to fix issues with the system itself because they are responsible for it. I cannot provide any concrete instructions or fixes at this point.

I will still give you some general hints what you can do:
  • To narrow down the cause, check if other devices on the network have the same speed issues. If that's the case, it is not your system that needs fixing.
  • Please try a brand new network cable. Sometimes these are old or just faulty and then cause transmission problems.
  • Call your ISP, tell them about your network issues, maybe they can help
  • Reset your router.
  • Reset the DNS cache.
  • Reset or reinstall your browsers.
  • Reset your hosts file.
  • If you use cleaning software like CCleaner, the browsers will be notably slower directly after cleaning their cache files. Caching is there to boost speed.
  • You have a driver updater on your system (DriverEasy). It is not advisable to update drivers on a regular basis. Such tools can cause more harm than good. I recommend not to use it anymore.
  • Your logs still show all the security software I listed above. Either the scan was done before you uninstalled them or the software is still on the system. I would at least try and see if the system is faster without those.
Do you have any questions?
"It seems to me that this computer is used for work ... I cannot provide any concrete instructions or fixes at this point." <-- Oh, ok! I TOTALLY understand; NO problem, and thanks for clarifying that! I'd read a post in one of the forums here, whereby it stated that if someone owns a computer repair shop & wants help on this site to fix it, then they wouldn't be able to get help here. That's NOT the case with me, but I DO telecommute (and this IS a WORK-assigned laptop). I was 50/50 on whether I could/should ask for help here, but figured I'd try & see what happens. SEVERAL colleagues have also recently reported issues with THEIR WORK-assigned laptops -- and our support dept is stretched VERY THIN, at the moment! (Actually, ALL of our depts are stretched VERY THIN as well, LOL!) I DEFINITELY do NOT want to get YOU (or ANYONE, for that matter) into ANY trouble, WHATSOEVER! Also, I'm not the first person that's used this laptop, so there may have been things left behind by another user(s), of which I was previously unaware (from when I ran Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, the other night).

My other devices (2 tablets & a phone) are ALL fine, speed-wise, via Wi-Fi; it's ONLY this laptop that has Internet speed issues (and 99.9% of the time, I ONLY use an Ethernet cable on this laptop). I was already on the phone w/my ISP, a few nights ago, for almost 2 hours. While on the phone w/them, after trying a few Ethernet cables, I STILL had (and STILL have) speed issues on this laptop. I HIGHLY doubt that ALL of the Ethernet cables are bad. I've also done the 3 ipconfig commands (ipconfig/flushdns , ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew), MANY times & rebooted BOTH the laptop AND router MANY times -- to no avail. Concerning DriverEasy, I've been recently coming across sites/articles, stating that using driver updaters aren't such a good idea (I'm surprised!); therefore, I'll uninstall it. That's correct: I haven't uninstalled ANY security software YET -- as I was awaiting further instructions from you. I'll try uninstalling ALL of them, sans Symantec Endpoint Protection, v. 14.2 (and of course, Windows Defender is built-in, anyway). That's another thing I could try: running Windows Defender online AND offline, to see if anything DOES come up. I may also resort to trying Norton Power Eraser and HitMan Pro as well, fix things (IF necessary) and then uninstall them, once I'm done. This video also had some good tips: . Another option is using netsh to reset Winsock ( How and Why to Use the Netsh Winsock Reset Command (In 2021)). It's probably not due to any viruses/malware (as I haven't had ANY pop-ups, web site redirects, app/program issues, etc.), but you never know; I just want to be TOTALLY certain. If all else fails, then I'll uninstall my browsers, reinstall them (sans M$ Edge), reinstall them & check my Internet speed again. After all of this, I MIGHT consider using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again, keeping apps & data (like I did the first time), and just reinstall Windows 10 (as that DID seem to help before, but ONLY when I got back up & SUMMARILY used Ookla Speedtest -- BEFORE opening M$ Edge again). One more BOLD move may be to try Tronscript, perhaps on a weekend that I'm NOT working. I've read that it removes M$ bloatware & spying stuff -- which would also OBVIOUSLY give me a speed bump and better OVERALL laptop performance. ;-)

Once again, thanks for ALL of your assistance, Karsten, and may you & yours have a TOTALLY TERRIFIC 2022 (AND BEYOND)! :)

kgm1973

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 28, 2021
"It seems to me that this computer is used for work ... I cannot provide any concrete instructions or fixes at this point." <-- Oh, ok! I TOTALLY understand; NO problem, and thanks for clarifying that! I'd read a post in one of the forums here, whereby it stated that if someone owns a computer repair shop & wants help on this site to fix it, then they wouldn't be able to get help here. That's NOT the case with me, but I DO telecommute (and this IS a WORK-assigned laptop). I was 50/50 on whether I could/should ask for help here, but figured I'd try & see what happens. SEVERAL colleagues have also recently reported issues with THEIR WORK-assigned laptops -- and our support dept is stretched VERY THIN, at the moment! (Actually, ALL of our depts are stretched VERY THIN as well, LOL!) I DEFINITELY do NOT want to get YOU (or ANYONE, for that matter) into ANY trouble, WHATSOEVER! Also, I'm not the first person that's used this laptop, so there may have been things left behind by another user(s), of which I was previously unaware (from when I ran Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, the other night).

My other devices (2 tablets & a phone) are ALL fine, speed-wise, via Wi-Fi; it's ONLY this laptop that has Internet speed issues (and 99.9% of the time, I ONLY use an Ethernet cable on this laptop). I was already on the phone w/my ISP, a few nights ago, for almost 2 hours. While on the phone w/them, after trying a few Ethernet cables, I STILL had (and STILL have) speed issues on this laptop. I HIGHLY doubt that ALL of the Ethernet cables are bad. I've also done the 3 ipconfig commands (ipconfig/flushdns , ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew), MANY times & rebooted BOTH the laptop AND router MANY times -- to no avail. Concerning DriverEasy, I've been recently coming across sites/articles, stating that using driver updaters aren't such a good idea (I'm surprised!); therefore, I'll uninstall it. That's correct: I haven't uninstalled ANY security software YET -- as I was awaiting further instructions from you. I'll try uninstalling ALL of them, sans Symantec Endpoint Protection, v. 14.2 (and of course, Windows Defender is built-in, anyway). That's another thing I could try: running Windows Defender online AND offline, to see if anything DOES come up. I may also resort to trying Norton Power Eraser and HitMan Pro as well, fix things (IF necessary) and then uninstall them, once I'm done. This video also had some good tips: . Another option is using netsh to reset Winsock ( How and Why to Use the Netsh Winsock Reset Command (In 2021)). It's probably not due to any viruses/malware (as I haven't had ANY pop-ups, web site redirects, app/program issues, etc.), but you never know; I just want to be TOTALLY certain. If all else fails, then I'll uninstall my browsers, reinstall them (sans M$ Edge), reinstall them & check my Internet speed again. After all of this, I MIGHT consider using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again, keeping apps & data (like I did the first time), and just reinstall Windows 10 (as that DID seem to help before, but ONLY when I got back up & SUMMARILY used Ookla Speedtest -- BEFORE opening M$ Edge again). One more BOLD move may be to try Tronscript, perhaps on a weekend that I'm NOT working. I've read that it removes M$ bloatware & spying stuff -- which would also OBVIOUSLY give me a speed bump and better OVERALL laptop performance. ;-)

Once again, thanks for ALL of your assistance, Karsten, and may you & yours have a TOTALLY TERRIFIC 2022 (AND BEYOND)! :)

Oh, and also a HARD reset of my router might also help (of course, AFTER I've saved the CURRENT settings). ;-)

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Happy new year to you as well!
I understand, it is okay that you asked for help here. We need to update the rules. This does not apply to repair shops only but business computers in general.
I hope my ideas can help you somewhat but a reinstall should also work if nothing else does.
You are right, it is most likely not the network at fault if your other systems have a proper speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.