Troubleshoot Very strange, random explorer freeze

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
Suspicious software:
Heimdal Security Pro (this recently nagged me about not being able to connect to service)
Discord (low possibility, but since it always try to reconnect when the computer stops working)
Nvidia Experience 3 (this has never worked, always said there was something wrong then displayed blank window)

Basically, this is what happens:
1. I leave computer on for few hours or days
2. I return, see Discord is trying to reconnect
3. Look at Task Manager and see every process except system process has 0% activity on everything
4. Explorer will freeze, restarting process will make explorer stuck in comatose mode (0% activity, no windows, 0% CPU, fixed size on all tries)
5. Logout will not finish, computer will get stuck in the loop
6. Reboot will fix the problem for few hours

Please reply for any more information required.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi!
Scan your PC with MBAM free (full scan of all units )in safe mode .
If you find any malware go in malware removal assistance section of this forum .

If you don't find any ( you can try other detect / removal tool if you want ) perform a clean boot ( in Italian MS forum community we have a more detailed guide but I can't find it in English , but type " clean boot windows7 " in Google and follow that MS guide

Upvote 0

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
First step : Enter to Safe mode and check if everything is good. Leave it for a couple of hours and return to see if it reoccurs.

Second step : Please do stop those suspicious softwares from beginning of Windows (you can do that via entering msconfig to start button) by trying each one and find which one is causing trouble. Then uninstall the one and you should be OK.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.