At-Risk VHSMSDOS's Security Setup

V

VHSMSDOS

Thread author
So this is my setup, pretty basic but works well. Norton Security and Malwarebytes play nice together and are really light on system once exclusions are set. 1Password is amazing as far password goes (but i do love Dashlane as well). As for Adblock Plus, it's not the best (uBlock Origin is), but i like that it's based in Germany.

As far as backup goes, I've tested most softs, but i like doing it manually... old school is beautiful :cool:

I sometimes use a more complete setup, but i currently like to keep it simple :p

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Please consider to add an Image System Backup solution (Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backuppper, are free and reliable), also run manual backups of important data to external devices.

For on demand scanners You may add ZAM Free and EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.

Thanks for sharing Your config :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Please follow the suggestion to set up a good backup policy, essential in order to safeguard your OS and the data it contains.
Which is your default browser?
Thanks for sharing :)

V

VHSMSDOS

Thread author
Please consider to add an Image System Backup solution (Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backuppper, are free and reliable), also run manual backups of important data to external devices.

For on demand scanners You may add ZAM Free and EmsiSoft Emergency Kit.

Thanks for sharing Your config :)

Good idea, i'll add Emsisoft Emergency Kit but i'll skip Zemana as i don't trust this company.

I do know it's technically better to have a backup soft, but i'm not a big fan of those and I've tried most of them. I backup my files weekly on 2 separate hard drives in case one would fail.

But should my computer be infected or have other OS problems (failed Windows update, etc...), i would perform a clean install. I actually clean install at least once a year, sometimes more. Nothing like that "fresh" feeling when you install that lasted Windows 10 build from scratch :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to answer me !

Reactions: harlan4096
V

VHSMSDOS

Thread author
Please follow the suggestion to set up a good backup policy, essential in order to safeguard your OS and the data it contains.
Which is your default browser?
Thanks for sharing :)

As I've said to @harlan4096 i'm not a big fan of backup softs. I backup manually weekly and would rather clean install should i encounter a problem, which happens almost never.

I'm using Chrome, especially because it is the most supported (have the most extensions, best compatibility with other programs such as password managers, etc...). I'm using Firefox as a secondary browser for the same reasons.

Thanks for your input (y)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Good idea, i'll add Emsisoft Emergency Kit but i'll skip Zemana as i don't trust this company.

I do know it's technically better to have a backup soft, but i'm not a big fan of those and I've tried most of them. I backup my files weekly on 2 separate hard drives in case one would fail.

But should my computer be infected or have other OS problems (failed Windows update, etc...), i would perform a clean install. I actually clean install at least once a year, sometimes more. Nothing like that "fresh" feeling when you install that lasted Windows 10 build from scratch :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to answer me !
Or try Shadow Defender to protect your pc :)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In the case of using the clean installation periodically, it is convenient to manage the software by putting the portable version in a separate drive.
It seems to be backed up by yourself, but if possible, consider using an application with schedule function and consider an environment that can be backed up without consciousness. The trouble is mysterious, it happens only when you have forgotten to back it up.

Thank you for sharing:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.